ESET installation of FreeNAS 9.2.1 32-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastien

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install ESET File security on my FreeNAS server and i encounter a problem when launching it :
Command line : /usr/local/etc/rc.d/esets.sh start
Result :
/var: write failed, filesystem is full
error[4a4d0000]: Error updating Antivirus modules: General compiler error.

Start Antivirus modules update...

/var: write failed, filesystem is full

My problem is : I can't install it into a jail (don't have any free IP address on the network) and i can't find a way to change directories in ESET configurations files.

Can you please help me, i'm stuck right now :'(

Thanks in advance !

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
A few questions / clarifications:
1) are you trying to install ESET on your FreeNAS appliance directly (not in a jail)? If so, that's a non-starter. You don't install software outside of a jail.
2) why are you using ESET?

Bastien

Cadet
Hi anodos, thank you for your reply :)

I'm trying to install this software directly on my FreeNAs appliance. I understand the concept of jail, yet the fact I'm not confortable with is that my jail needs to have an IP address.
Even with tutorial, i can't figure it out.
The problem is that I can't afford a new IP address in the subnet of my FreeNAS.

I'm using ESET because of licence stuff of my firm.
I've seen that ClamAV can be easily integrated with FreeNAS, is this true ?

Thanks one again :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Okay. There are a few problems with your plan.
1) You cannot install software directly on your FreeNAS appliance.

2) Running antivirus software on a unix file server just doesn't make sense. Theoretically, it makes things safer (it might catch something - just like your house might get hit by a meteor), but your time could be spent better doing probably dozens of other things to improve the security of your network. For instance:
a) properly configuring a perimeter firewall that contains modern security features
b) taking away admin rights from users
c) centralizing patch management
d) developing / deploying group policy application whitelists
e) making sure default system images are up to date and have proper security settings (or configuring a deployment server if one doesn't exist).​

The list just goes on and on.

In short there are four groups of potential attackers of your work network:
f) script kiddies
g) botnets
h) disgruntled employees
i) skilled adversaries​
(f)-(g) is addressed by (a) - (d) [but primarily perimeter firewall and patch management]. (h) is mitigated by having proper procedures and policies, as well as potentially having software to monitor their activity. (i) - well a/v on your filer won't buy you much.

3) I don't understand why you can't use a jail. You said you "don't have any free IP address on the network". That sounds like a more fundamental problem than not being able to install eset.

My recommendation: fix your network, and if you feel like you need A/V - install it in a jail.

Bastien

Cadet
Hi Anodos,
Thank you for your reply.

I followed your advice and install FreeNAS into a Jail (i was able to get another IP address).
After that I realised this is neither a good idea nor a best practice.
So I rollback and here is what i'm doing now :
I have my FreeNAS server with only freeNAS;
I have a separate server hosting the A/V with a mount point to the share of my FreeNAS.
And this server is capable of analysing the content of my data volume.

I found this solution on the forum and it appears to be the best one (at least the best fitting my needs).

Each server is acting as a "service" so that if I want to use the A/V to scan another server, i can easily do it.

Anyway, thank you once again, you really help me with that :)

Best Regards,
Bastien

Status
Not open for further replies.