Errors received on drive format. Is this used drive dead?

This is a 3tb sas drive that I have plugged into an LSI9211 that is flashed to IT mode. I have used this card before in this system. I tried replacing the cable to be sure but this error is thrown when trying to wipe or create a zfs pool with the drive with both sets of cables.

Here is the error:
Code:
File "./freenasUI/storage/views.py" in disk_wipe
  866.                     wait_job(c, DISK_WIPE_JOB_ID)
  866.                     wait_job(c, DISK_WIPE_JOB_ID)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/util.py" in wait_job
  29.                 raise JobFailed(job['error'])
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
  42.             response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
  249.             response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
  178.             response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  163.         return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  23.                 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
  870.                 raise MiddlewareError(_('Disk wipe job failed: %s') % str(e.value))

Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /legacy/storage/disks/wipe/da1/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: Disk wipe job failed: Command '('gpart', 'create', '-s', 'gpt', '/dev/da1')' returned non-zero exit status 1.]

Is this drive toast?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The drive doesn't need to be formatted to see its SMART information...could we see the SMART information?

Code:
root@freenas:~ # smartctl -a /dev/da1
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               SEAGATE
Product:              DKS2D-H3R0SS
Revision:             6FB0
User Capacity:        3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]
Logical block size:   512 bytes
Rotation Rate:        7200 rpm
Form Factor:          3.5 inches
Logical Unit id:      0x5000c500425bbdab
Serial number:        Z29468FM00009248HPJZ
Device type:          disk
Transport protocol:   SAS (SPL-3)
Local Time is:        Wed Feb 13 20:28:01 2019 CST
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature:     32 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        68 C

Manufactured in week 38 of year 2012
Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  10000
Accumulated start-stop cycles:  199
Specified load-unload count over device lifetime:  300000
Accumulated load-unload cycles:  199
Elements in grown defect list: 0

Vendor (Seagate) cache information
  Blocks sent to initiator = 3181301115
  Blocks received from initiator = 20920507
  Blocks read from cache and sent to initiator = 65133912
  Number of read and write commands whose size <= segment size = 2408065
  Number of read and write commands whose size > segment size = 0

Vendor (Seagate/Hitachi) factory information
  number of hours powered up = 39989.85
  number of minutes until next internal SMART test = 47

Error counter log:
           Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
               ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
           fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
read:   131664864        0         0  131664864          0       3778.680           0
write:         0        0         0         0          0       6713.737           0
verify: 1561556108        0         0  1561556108          0       6809.129           0

Non-medium error count:       28

[GLTSD (Global Logging Target Save Disable) set. Enable Save with '-S on']
SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
     Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background short  Completed                   -   39949                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background short  Completed                   -   39900                 - [-   -    -]
# 3  Background long   Completed                   -   39833                 - [-   -    -]
# 4  Background short  Completed                   -   39781                 - [-   -    -]
# 5  Background short  Completed                   -   39733                 - [-   -    -]

Long (extended) Self Test duration: 14 seconds [0.2 minutes]

I'm sorry this should have been included in the first post. Here is the smart info for this drive. It has been installed in my machine for a little while so it has a few test results

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I would say it's more likely that there's some partition/MBR/GPT corruption on the drive, and FreeNAS for some reason isn't able to cope. Can you throw it into another system/OS and use gparted/diskpart or a similar tool to "clean" the drive?

In regards to your SMART data, Seagate drives report a "raw error value" where (I believe) it's actually a 48-bit number, and the first 16 bits represent the actual error rate.

The key metrics are is that you have no errors that caused a "delayed correction" and your "elements in grown defect list" is zero. I think the drive itself is fine and there's a middleware issue.

What version of FreeNAS are you on, and have you scrubbed your boot pool recently if it's USB?

I do have a windows machine and a spare HBA I can use to run diskpart on the drive. I'll try that this afternoon and see where it gets me.

I am on freenas 11.2 and I have not scrubbed the boot partition. I am booting off of a usb.

Thank you for explaining the SMART data, I was pretty puzzled looking at those error values.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So as @HoneyBadger says, if a drive has a pre-existing partition table on it, there are cases where it will not format correctly in FreeNAS. The solution is to use another system to manually go in there and wipe out the partition tables. I think this has a 90% chance of being your problem with this drive.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You can also do

# sysctl -w kern.geom.debugflags=16
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/yourdevice bs=1048576

and wait a few hours. There's also faster versions of this, but this is easy.

In this case your device is "da1", so use /dev/da1

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I do have a windows machine and a spare HBA I can use to run diskpart on the drive. I'll try that this afternoon and see where it gets me.
Did this get resolved with a diskpart session (select disk X then clean)?