Error: rsync: @ERROR: invalid gid nobody

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamBB

Explorer
I'm getting the above on a PUSH task from FreeNAS.

Both user and group exist in the appropriate system lists, so I'm at a loss to know where to start.

Any thoughts most welcome.

PS am new to rsync - but can't see how that could be material here!!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Are the GID and UID values the same on both systems? On both of my FreeNAS systems, group 'nobody' has GID=65534 and user 'nobody' has UID=65534.

If, in some insane way, the GID for group 'nobody' is defined differently on either end of your rsync connection, that might explain why it's blowing up on you.

GrahamBB

Explorer
Are the GID and UID values the same on both systems? On both of my FreeNAS systems, group 'nobody' has GID=65534 and user 'nobody' has UID=65534.

If, in some insane way, the GID for group 'nobody' is defined differently on either end of your rsync connection, that might explain why it's blowing up on you.

We are attempting to go from a FreeNAS system to a standard (Debian) Linux box.

The IDs on the FreeNAS are the same as you list. The FreeNAS system appears to fail before attempting to contact any outside system, with the error in the title. I'll check the Linux box when I'm back in the office, but don't think it gets to that point. Do all systems have to have the same UID and GID?

Cheers

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
We are attempting to go from a FreeNAS system to a standard (Debian) Linux box.

The IDs on the FreeNAS are the same as you list. The FreeNAS system appears to fail before attempting to contact any outside system, with the error in the title. I'll check the Linux box when I'm back in the office, but don't think it gets to that point. Do all systems have to have the same UID and GID?

Cheers
I don't know the answer to that question, but it seems like I remember reading (or experiencing first-hand) that it's bad juju for the same user name and/or group name to have different UID and/or GID values on systems that are trying to talk to each other. The error message you're getting sort of points that way. But I'm getting old and forgetful... perhaps one of our Unix gurus will enlighten us about this.

In any case, do you have SSH set up with keys so that you can connect to the remote box without entering a password? I think that's pretty much a prerequisite to getting rsync to work.

GrahamBB

Explorer
I don't know the answer to that question, but it seems like I remember reading (or experiencing first-hand) that it's bad juju for the same user name and/or group name to have different UID and/or GID values on systems that are trying to talk to each other. The error message you're getting sort of points that way. But I'm getting old and forgetful... perhaps one of our Unix gurus will enlighten us about this.

In any case, do you have SSH set up with keys so that you can connect to the remote box without entering a password? I think that's pretty much a prerequisite to getting rsync to work.

We didn't set up SSH yet, we are on an internal network and the idea is to get the basics working, then build the layers, such as ssh on top of the basics.

I'll check out your thoughts on Monday. Thanks again.

GrahamBB

Explorer
Thanks for the input, I'll try these suggestions.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.