SOLVED Error on new installation: "getty repeating too quickly on /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

keboose

Explorer
I am setting up a new freenas computer to replace my old one. It is a Supermicro H8QGi mobo, with four AMD 6128 CPU's. The BIOS is at the latest version. When I boot into my USB flash drive (16GB USB 2.0 PNY drive,) Freenas seemingly boots fine, but once it completes, and shows the terminal options (network config, DNS config, shut down, etc) I can't select any options, and I cannot connect to the web GUI. My router does not see a new device connected. Looking at the terminal while it boots, I can see an error about nginx failing to load flash by, as well as what looks like an attempt to connect via IPv6, which my router does not hand out.

Once it gets to the normal terminal display, a few iterations scroll by (I assume trying to get an IP address to display) before showing this error twice: "getty repeating too quickly on /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs". After 30 seconds, it tries again and fails.

This seems like an issue with my network ports (I am connected to one of the Intel Gigabit ports on the back.) Is there a way I can further troubleshoot this?

S

sef

There is a bug in FN9 (it still appears to be there, anyway) where /etc/netcli will fail if there are no NICs found. (It may show up if there is now nginx running, which could be another problem.)

You should be able to log into another vty (type alt-F2), and see what the output of "ifconfig -a".

keboose

Explorer
Thank you, I forgot about the other terminal windows (F1-F7.) Running the command "ifconfig -a" shows only one adapter, and it is not 'eth0' like I am used to. Is it possible the OS cannot find my network ports? I have attached a picture of what is displayed on the terminal.

Attachments

• IMAG0655.jpg
    IMAG0655.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 632
S

sef

That's the loopback device. So for whatever reason, none of your ethernet devices are recognized by the OS, and that's what caused the problem. Obviously it shouldn't do the crash, but I think that means you've got another bigger problem.

keboose

Explorer
I see. So it can't see the board's dual NIC (Intel 82576 controller). Could the installation have gone wrong (with the NGINX error)? Right now the installation is on a generic PNY USB drive, but I want to have the install be mirrored on two Sandisk cruzer glide 16GB sticks. Are those good for the installation, or is there a particular brand or chip I should buy (hopefully at a local electronics store)?

S

sef

I'd really expect that to work, since it has Intel NICs. Someone else may have to answer that...

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please post the version of FreeNAS you are trying to install? If you are using the latest version, then give 9.10.1-U4 a try. If neither work then post the output of "dmesg", if you can. Photot of the dmesg is not what anyone wants to see.

Also, post your RAM configuration. Each CPU get's RAM, I'm curios how you have it split up.

keboose

Explorer
I am running v9.10.2, the version available on the main download page at the moment. I can install an older version instead to give it a try.

I can't copy the dmesg output to this post, but I can type out the lines that give warnings. I'm not too familiar with FreeBSD, if you know of a way I can copy the dmesg output to a file on a flash drive, I will do it and use my desktop to post it. These are the errors I can see:
Code:
WARNING: VIMAGE (virtualized network stack) is a highly experimental feature.
ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): 32/64X length mismatch in FADT/Gpe0Block: 64/32 (20160527/tbfadt-650)

I don't know where the NGINX warning or the loopback initialization went, I can't seem to find it by paging up and down the output on my terminal.

Currently I have sixteen 1GB sticks, in a quad channel configuration (according to the board manual - all RAM goes in 'A' slots, so four sticks per CPU).

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yea, try 9.10.1-U4, see how that works. If that fails, check the FreeBSD 10 hardware compatability. That's about all I got other than installing a NIC card.

What does FreeNAS report as the RAM size?
Code:
sysctl hw.physmem
Code:

This of course doesn't solve your problem unless for some lame reason it says you only have 4GB, but I don't expect that.

keboose

Explorer
That command shows 16GB. I installed 9.10.1-U4: The 'getty repeating' error is gone, but there are still no interfaces. It has a new line under option 14 (shutdown):
Code:
No configured interfaces were found. Try to do it manually.

Trying option 1 (Configure network interfaces) shows no options, just 'q' to quit.

keboose

Explorer
This is a bit embarrassing. The fix for the problem was pretty easy on my end. I had a heck of a day trying to get this setup working, and I did, eventually.

I fixed the initial error by resetting by BIOS. I had assumed this had happened when I upgraded, but apparently not. I selected the 'optimal defaults' option, and afterwards it worked fine.

Resetting the BIOS also fixed my HBA card, which had stopped booting after the BIOS flash.

Unfortunately, after installing freenas successfully on one of the Sandisk drives, I found that one of the drives on the HBA card was missing, because it was loose in the drive bay. I restarted the machine, and suddenly it could not boot the OS, giving the generic "please insert boot media to continue" line. After a lot of retrying, I couldn't even boot into the install USB stick that had literally worked on the same BIOS settings a half hour earlier, and the machine doesn't seem to recognize any USB devices as bootable. I eventually installed Freenas on an old HDD using a DVD drive, both plugged into the remaining SATA ports on my motherboard. At the moment, I have Freenas running, and am trying to make a new Z3 volume with 11 of the drives (one hot spare.) The GUI says it's building, but the terminal I have next to me shows errors with the SAS card I am using:

Code:
mtp0: handshake aborted - invalid doorbell state
mtp mailbox: (0x0ffffffff) State Unknown WhoInIt Unknown
mtp0:  mtp_send_ioc_init failed
mtp0:  request 0xfffffe00010fce90:3859 timed out for ccb 0xfffff8000c28d800 (req->ccb0xfffff8000c28d800)
mtp0: attempting to abort req 0xfffffe00010fce90:3859 function 0
mtp0: handshake aborted - invalid doorbell state
mtp mailbox: (0x0ffffffff) State Unknown WhoInIt Unknown
mtp0: soft reset failed: device not running
mtp0: mtp_reset: failed hard reset (0:0)
mtp0: mtp_reset: failed hard reset (0:1)
mtp0: mtp_reset: failed hard reset (0:2)
mtp0: mtp_reset: failed hard reset (0:3)
mtp0: mtp_reset: failed hard reset (0:4)
mtp0: completing timedout/aborted req 0xfffffe0001fce90:3859

I guess the card isn't playing nicely with the OS? The card is an LSI SAS3081E-R adapter.

ant0nwax

Cadet
This is a bit embarrassing. The fix for the problem was pretty easy on my end. I had a heck of a day trying to get this setup working, and I did, eventually.

I fixed the initial error by resetting by BIOS. I had assumed this had happened when I upgraded, but apparently not. I selected the 'optimal defaults' option, and afterwards it worked fine.

Resetting the BIOS also fixed my HBA card, which had stopped booting after the BIOS flash.

I forgot that I deactivated the Network Card for Test Purposes .... Oh I was lame :) But now I am running again

keboose

Explorer
Ha, I can neither confirm nor deny.

I got the SAS card working, too. Turns out it was set to "BIOS control" only, when it should be set to "BIOS and OS control" (I'll admit that one was likely me.)

I still don't know why it won't boot from USB, though.

*Edit: Not to revive an old thread, but just wanted to say that the reason I couldn't boot from USB is because I was letting the SAS card boot its BIOS (I thought I needed to do that to allow access to my drives.) I disabled PCI BIOS options in my MB BIOS, and now I can boot to USB devices just fine (and I can still use all the drives connected to the SAS card even though the boot process skips straight from the boot logo to FreeNAS now.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.