Errno 5 input-output error while creating new pool at formating/wiping HDD [Solved]

PeterPater

Cadet
TLDR: probably/maybe Hardware level issue regarding ports/connectors/adapters.

I wanted to make this post since I myself couldn't find much help while trying to solve the issue.

Wanted to convert my old HP Pavilon 15 ENERGY STAR into a NAS. I know it is not advised, and some may be already thinking that was the problem... yes and no.
Since you need at least 2 storage devices for Truenas, I had to use the og connector that came with the laptop, and use an adaptor that used the optical disk space and connector for the second, 1Tb, HDD. That was the problen. The OS disk was on the dedicated port, while the storage one was at the optical disk port adapter. After some troubleshooting, and swiping them for one another, it all worked. If I had to guess, I would say it is purely a hardware issue, maybe some specific data transfer lines are missing, since the optical disk port is smaller and has fewer. Such a same because being able to take out the storage HDD on a second was really appealing.