Encryption: Adding Vdev to pool = Data gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummigreger

Cadet
My situation is as follows:
I have a server that previously was containing 4 x 2TB drives in a raidZ1 vdev with encryption enabled.
I then added an additional 4x 2TB drives that I added as a vdev with the same name using the GUI, thinking it would expand the existing partition without issues.

After a quick reboot I now can't re-mount the volume at all, it's name was Volume1 and even though I enter the correct passphrase and load the encryption key (or recovery key) it just gives an error msg similar to "The following disks failed to attach: gptid:blahblahblah"

My question is this: When adding a vdev to an encrypted pool, does the passphrase/key need to be updated in some way that the user is not notified of? Because I just lost about 5TB of data. My fault entirely, I know, but I've come to rely on Freenas so much that I thought at simple vdev add shouldn't destroy my data without warning me at least...

Can anybody at least shed some light on what I did wrong so that I know what not to do in future attempts at using this software, or should I go on trying to make a full Openindiana build work to get what I want?
I kinda figured since Freenas used to nofify you of every step that was desctructive to your data it would do the same when encryption was added, but apparently not(or I made a huge boo-boo, not exactly a shocker).

ProtoSD

MVP
Gummigreger,

This sounds like a possible bug. Just in case the developers don't see your post, can you open a ticket at http://support.freenas.org ?

Put a link in your ticket referencing this post.

Thanks!

paleoN

Wizard
This is the main reason they rolled -p1. Do note it's not official yet.

Original thread: [thread=12063]Encrypted Volume Will Not Decrypt![/thread]

Not sure what the resolution was for brandonpoc.

And here's the related commit, [9a8743aa].

Status
Not open for further replies.