Adding new vdev to encrypted zpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0b07

Cadet
Hi all,

I think I've figured out the steps required to do this, but wanted to double check before I go ahead and do anything.

Scenario: I have a 12x4TB RAIDZ3 vdev in my zpool. The pool is encrypted via geli. I know the passphrase, have the recovery key, have backed up the encryption key and have backed up the geli metadata from all disks. The vdev is configured as 8 data drives, 3 parity drives, 1 'warm' spare.

I'm running low on space and would like to add another 12 4tb drives to the pool. I intend to create a similar (8 / 3 / 1) RAIDZ3 vdev and then add it to the pool.

I just wanted to check if there is anything in particular regarding encryption I should be careful of.

As far as I understand, once I've created the encrypted vdev and added it to the pool, the passphrase and recovery key will be re-set so I should 'immediately recreate both' according to the docs (i.e. do NOT reboot). Should I be doing this by triggering 'create/change passphrase' on the volume or should I use 'encryption re-key'?

As far as I understand neither of these steps should wipe my data (each disk has it's own encryption key, re-keying just changes the key with which these disk keys are encrypted and stored in the geli metadata part of the disk)? Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Has anyone done this before? Anything else I should watch out for?

Your help is much appreciated!

r0b07

Cadet
Just as a follow-up to this.

I proceeded with the expansion of the encrypted pool, and it worked flawlessly.

I made sure to immediately perform the steps cyberjock mentioned here, namely to:

Do "Encryption Rekey", then "Create Passphrase", then "Download Key", then "Add Recovery Key". In that order. BEFORE rebooting.

I now have two raidz3 vdevs making up the pool, which is exactly as I wanted. No data was lost doing this, though of course I had backups as always, just in case.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, I've been away from the forums lately. Glad you got it figured out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.