Encrypted Cloud Sync Recovery

I've searched around and can't find a definitive answer on how to go about recovering a cloud sync when it's encrypted.

I think the cloud integration is terrific, and I've created a Backblaze account to do periodic replication off to their servers for backup. It's working flawlessly. It copies each dataset off to a storage bucket depending on the schedules I've set. I've used the encrypt options to keep it all an inaccessible lump of goo to offsite eyes. No file names, nothing visible in unencrypted form... terrific.

So why no restore option?

I can download things from Backblaze, but they are inaccessible encrypted nonsense. So how would you recover this backup?

Are there any plans to offer a recover from the GUI? I'd like to ditch my other backup provider completely.

Thanks,
Steven

D

dlavigne

I don't think we have a feature request for this yet. If you don't see one at bugs.freenas.org, go ahead and create one so we can add it to the Roadmap.

Evertb1

Guru
So why no restore option?
I use cloud sync with my Onedrive account with encryption and it works OK. You just need to define a pull task with the same targets and encryption key as you used with the push task. I have tested this with a temporary dataset and had no real problems. The only small problem that I encountered was that the restored (pulled) data set was made read only (I have no idea why). But that was easy enough to correct. I enabledt the push task and left the pull task disabled. I will only run it when I need a restore.