Educational resources

lagerman43

Cadet
Hello all,

I am looking to improve my skill set and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in regards to learning more.

Currently working level 2 helpdesk/field tech and feel it is time to move up and on.

My networking and server skills are really lacking. I also can't script or program to save my soul. I currently can't afford to go back to school and am looking for good books(free if possible) or video series that I can read/watch when I have some free time.

Looking to become a network/sys admin and dip my toes into cloud and or infosec areas as I feel those seem to be the hot areas now.

I appreciate any help or guidance anyone can provide.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So, both "cloud" (a horrible term really just meaning someone else's computer) and infosec are basically things that need basic net/sysadmin skills.

You need UNIX fundamentals. This includes scripting, which can play a large role in sysadmin/cloud/infosec work. UNIX fundamentals haven't changed much in several decades, aside from things getting bigger and piggier. "ls" is still "ls", etc. Visit a used bookstore and see if you can find a book that covers shell scripting, preferably in sh rather than bash, but bash is "okay" (Linux folks confuse it for "sh" though). Take it and see if you can master the basics of composing simple scripts. Bear in mind some of us will sit there and just bang out complex shell pipelines at a prompt to do interesting and complicated things; this requires familiarity with scripting and how the shell works.

As more and more people have "solved" all the basic programming problems, the need to code isn't necessarily as valuable as the ability to assemble the legos in useful manners, and that's what scripting and shell pipelines are all about. One of my more complex shell projects consists of two /bin/sh scripts that are well over 100KBytes each, that create a FreeBSD appliance operating system image from a "database" in a manner that can be used to template, update, and/or rebuild it at a later date.

Finding some tangentially interesting stuff to implement can be fun and challenging. Just because lots of stuff can be installed via a package manager doesn't mean that that's the best way to do it. Lots can be learned by downloading basic bits, such as a DHCP server, and doing the work yourself to install and configure the thing using "tar", "configure", "make", "vi", and having to read some README docs along the way. You will fail at some of it, which can be just as valuable as succeeding. It's hard to know up front what sorts of things are beginner level projects. :smile:

bedaro

Cadet
On the networking side, look for CCNA and CCDA books. I learned a lot from those back when I was interested in being a network admin.

TBH I don't remember if those cover the absolute basic fundamentals of networking or not, as I already knew those at the time, but they are really important. Learn what the OSI model is, and how everything works at each layer. There are a bunch of terms you need to learn and what layer they go in: just in layer 2 you have frames, MAC addresses, VLANs, link aggregation, the list goes on. Layers 3 and 4 get really complicated! There are introductory networking books that should cover these topics. To really learn it all, though, you need play time as well. Buy yourself a used Cisco switch and router. If you want to make practical use of the switch at home look for a gigabit model, otherwise you can get an old 100BaseT model to save cash. Beware: these things have loud fans so make sure you have a place to keep them where the noise isn't a problem. Repurpose old computers to make a network with endpoint machines, a server or two, and a firewall; look to see if there are PC reuse/recycling stores near where you live to get this stuff for cheap.

If you want to play with Microsoft stuff, download Windows Server and find/build a system that can run it. If you don't want to keep it around long enough to activate you can still go through basics like setting up a domain with Active Directory. Or see if your employer has an Action Pack with extra licenses you could play with?

My last piece of advice is to leverage the job you have. As you learn more about the terminology and design patterns, ask your coworkers about how your company's infrastructure is set up and why it is the way it is. Ask to review documentation. Observe carefully, ask good questions and it will impress people. Even if it's not your job to maintain any of it you can get some practical knowledge that way and build connections for future job opportunities. It should make you better at your current helpdesk job, too, if you need to give them a reason to help you.

Arwen

MVP
One book I found handy, both for fundamentals on Unix and Network, is;

TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1 - The Protocols
W. Richard Stevens

It is hard cover, and expensive, but if you can get a used copy or perhaps borrow one from somebody, it's useful to teach the lower level stuff. Like Ethernet, IP, TCP & UDP.

Their are probably lots of other books, (which you might be able to get used, or view on-line), but I can say this one is gold. Just skip around a bit, as some of the topics are not commonly used like TFTP.

The advice about leveraging your current job is good too. Keep your ears open, but still work your current job. Don't get distracted too much, unless it's approved by your boss.

One I have found useful:
The Practice of System and Network Administration.
Limoncelli/Hogan/Chalup

I read this long ago, but also purchased the most recent (2017) version.

I have purchased but not read the volume 2 for this:
The Practice of Cloud System Administration
Limoncelli/Hogan/Chalup

Both @Arwen and @jgreco make good points. If you really want to get a better understanding, you need some kind of lab gear. It can be your own at home, or perhaps some castoffs at work. Being able to work with (and break) things that aren't in production gives you a lot more room to try stuff with fear.

awasb

Patron
If you had to read just one book ...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130206016/unixguruuniverse (any edition, if you want Linux included get the more recent ones)

Some more on shells ...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130212229/unixguruuniverse (search for that 2nd edition)

Stevens's TCP/IP got mentioned already. Highly recommended. (any edition)

And never forget (applies to books as well):

Unix Express: All passenger bring a piece of the aeroplane and a box of tools with them to the airport. They gather on the tarmac, arguing constantly about what kind of plane they want to build and how to put it together. Eventually, the passengers split into groups and build several different aircraft, but give them all the same name. Some passengers actually reach their destinations. All passengers believe they got there.

Since we are going there on Unix humor, here are some of my favorite bits.

People say Unix isn't user friendly. That isn't true. It is just particular about which users it gets friendly with!

This is a Unix email virus. It works on the honor system. Manually shell out of your mailer and remove some files. Manually forward it to everyone you know.

I am a former long term user of ELM. I only gave up on it because almost every email has HTML in it now, it didn't deal with that very well.

ChrisRJ

Wizard

ChrisRJ

Wizard
To really learn you need to try things. In that sense school (whatever that means precisely) will not help much anyway.

If you want to get an overview, just consuming content is probably ok. Reading books, watching videos on YouTube, etc. Being able to apply knowledge will require to get your hands "dirty". Start playing around with a Linux VM.

What will not advance your course is just copy-pasting instructions from blogs. You may achieve a goal, but not learn much. Use man pages instead. Read them completely, not only the part you are interested in. It will take at least ten times longer, but you learn a lot.

Read all threads on this forum. At first you will possibly not understand too much. But after a couple of weeks, all of a sudden, you will realize that you see clearer. This is how I learned Novell NetWare, Linux, and other things back in the 1990s. After a bit more than one year I would consult on NetWare and charge what is about 120 USD per hour today. And it wasn't a rip-off towards the customer but good value for money. Yes, you need to invest considerable time. But it works.

Good luck!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Mutt does IMAP. So even with local mailboxes and shell accounts dying, it will perfectly cope with current requirements. That's what elm was lacking, IMHO.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Mutt does a shitty job of IMAP when you have 20,000-30,000 messages. Just sayin'.

lagerman43

Cadet
Thank you all for the helpful information. I am looking into the books and suggestions provided. I will look to my circle of tech friends nearby to see if I can attain some more equipment. The Network Engineer at where I work gave me a Cisco router he had laying around and I am slowly trying to build up a home lab on the super cheap.