ECC Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmac6996

Dabbler
So for an ECC system for ZFS, you need ECC memory, a processor that supports ECC. Do you need a motherboard with memory slots that support ECC RAM? Motherboards that officially support ECC ram cost $200+ while any other motherboard cost 50 bucks and up.

Do all those things have to support ECC in order for freenas and ZFS to take advantage off the ECC RAM?

Thanks in advance.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes, you want to get a board that properly supports ECC. You can buy some supermicro boards for less than $200. They come with good NICs and are overall better suited for a server role than a $50 desktop board. The extra $100 goes toward hardware that you want to have and ensuring the quality is good. It's not for a "supports ECC" logo.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So for an ECC system for ZFS, you need ECC memory, a processor that supports ECC. Do you need a motherboard with memory slots that support ECC RAM? Motherboards that officially support ECC ram cost $200+ while any other motherboard cost 50 bucks and up.

Do all those things have to support ECC in order for freenas and ZFS to take advantage off the ECC RAM?

Thanks in advance.

A 50 buck motherboard is something I'd never touch with a ten foot pole. A decent desktop motherboard is approximately the same price as a decent server motherboard.

Please read the hardware sticky for recommendations.

esamett

Patron
The experts will tell you that a server quality board and Intel cpu is the safest way to go. As a home user I have not yet had problems with a simple system with an Asus consumer AMD board with ECC. Asus is only AMD vendor that states that their consumer boards support ECC. There are those more knowledgeable than I that have expert reasons why I have chosen unwisely, but so far, so good. Search for "cyberjock" postings.

bmac6996

Dabbler
Are you talking about the Asus
M5A78L-M/USB?

The other thing is I'm looking for an Itx mobo to reuse my Lian Li case

Status
Not open for further replies.