ECC error, just 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grewterd

Dabbler
I'm smoke testing my new build and memtest86 (not the +) is showing ECC corrected errors on bank 1. It seems to be on test 9 and 7 only. I'm looking for advice on this. First is this a concern? Should I return the ram or is the fact that the memory is correcting the error ok? I ran memtest86+ for about 3 days with no error first. The RAM was purchased used from eBay.

Board: Supermicro X10SRi-F
Memory: 2X Samsung M393A4K0BB0-CPB 32GB ECC
CPU: Intel Xeon E5 1620 V3

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
RMA it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
RMA. THe only acceptable number of errors is zero for RAM.

Grewterd

Dabbler
I'll do that. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that with Samsung. I called yesterday and let's just say their voice recognition software on their phone system and their humans is less than accurate.

What bugs me is if I had not tried the PassMark memtest86, I would not have seen the corrected ECC errors as the old memtest86+ (the one on just about every bootable ISO in the known universe) did not show these. Makes me uncomfortable.

tulth

Dabbler
Just curious: I am bringing up a new system as well and want to test the ecc memory.

Are you running the memtest86 without the + off the ultimate boot CD or a different version?

So far I have not been able to get any ecc information from either version of memtest86 on the ubcd.

x11ssm-f mobo
xeon e3-1200 v5 processor
Kingston value ecc ram, 2 x 16 gb

Grewterd

Dabbler
Just curious: I am bringing up a new system as well and want to test the ecc memory.

Are you running the memtest86 without the + off the ultimate boot CD or a different version?

So far I have not been able to get any ecc information from either version of memtest86 on the ubcd.

x11ssm-f mobo
xeon e3-1200 v5 processor
Kingston value ecc ram, 2 x 16 gb

Hello,

I have run both. The errors were picked up by memtest86 without the + only downloaded from PassMark. memtest86+, downloaded from http://www.memtest.org/ did not show the corrected ECC errors after several days of testing.

I wonder what the consensus of the more experienced members here is to be using. If I had not run the PassMark version, I would have assumed all was well.

Also, Samsung states the memory has no warranty. I figured this would be the case from what I have read about them.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
To clear up some of the confusion regarding MemTest, you might find this information helpful,
it comes from the PassMark website and I do not vouch for the accuracy stated therein.
http://www.memtest86.com/history.htm
I have personally used the PassMark version recently and have found errors that have gone undetected in the older versions.

tulth

Dabbler
Update: there is a follow up to the link that indicates the numbers below are very questionable

I thought I would share this:
Conclusion and summary
A system on Earth, at sea level, with 4 GB of RAM has a 96% percent chance of having a bit error in three days without ECC RAM. With ECC RAM, that goes down to 1.67e-10 or about one chance in six billions.
src: http://lambda-diode.com/opinion/ecc-memory

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.