SOLVED Eaton Ellipse ECO 800USB FR, 800VA - Working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
I just want to say that the Eaton Ellipse ECO 800USB FR, 800VA is working properly.

Driver used: Eaton ups 5 Ellipse ECO 650/800/1200/1600 VA USB (usbhid-ups)

I have set 60sec delay. On power loss, first broadcast message and email (if enabled) is sent. After delay, second broadcast message and email (if enabled) is sent. Then, after another 60 sec, last broadcast message (no email) is sent and system will shut down.

1st BC msg:
Broadcast Message from root@xxxxx.local
(no tty) at 18:24 CEST...

UPS eatonups on battery

2nd BC msg:
(no tty) at 18:25 CEST...

Executing automatic power-fail shutdown

3rd BC msg:
*** FINAL System shutdown message from root@xxxxx.local ***

System going down IMMEDIATELY

If the power is restored before the timeout, then following BC message is sent. Also another email is sent, if enabled.
(no tty) at 19:03 CEST...

UPS eatonups on line power

paleoN

Wizard
What FreeNAS version are you using? IIRC, 8.3.1-RELEASE-p2 has all the little UPS fixes included, but notifications for shutdown on goes on battery I believe have been working for a while.

Then, after another 60 sec, last broadcast message (no email) is sent and system will shut down.
After the second broadcast the system starts the process of shutting down which varies in how long it takes. It will shutdown at this point even if the power came back. The third BC is from the shutdown -p now command. It's only the initial 60 seconds that it will cancel the process.

Personally, I have my UPS set to shutdown on reaches low battery.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Everything is working fine, i am using FreeNAS 8.3.1-RELEASE-p2. Thanks for the details about the BC messages. Yes, i will also change the settings to shutdown on low battery, but testing with "after power loss" +delay was more easier.

BTW: Is there any way how to determine the "low battery" state? I was looking into UPS documentation but did not found any info about the specific values. Maybe in drivers? My NAS is going offline in 60sec so not a big deal, but imagine situation that the power drain of the system is quite high than usual (excessive load, ongoing scrub, ... etc) and also the UPS battery is a bit old. Power will go down, so NAS will run on battery. After a while, UPS will go low power and NAS will initiate the shut down process, but the UPS will die before the NAS go off -> Damaged system/FS ?

I guess the "low battery" is based on percentage state, like it is in laptops, cellphones, etc. But here i can define the threshold values for "low" and "critical" state and select a reaction (disable GPS, WiFi, data, backlight, ...). Is this possible to do this also in our case, with UPS+FreeNAS? For example if i know that my UPS is a bit old (its new right now, but in few years) so i could end in situation described above, so i'd like to set that the "low power" state is on 50% of battery capacity (for example). I understand that this must be supported by UPS (and driver?) so the UPS will not report only "low battery state" but also the real state in %.

EDIT: Ok, i will answer myself. I checked the links in documentation and i found this:

ignorelb
Optional. When you specify this, the driver ignores a low battery condition flag that is reported by the UPS (some devices will switch off almost immediately after setting this flag, or will report this as soons as the mains fails). Instead it will use either of the following conditions to determine when the battery is low:
battery.charge < battery.charge.low
battery.runtime < battery.runtime.low

The idea is to set the battery.charge.low and/or battery.runtime.low levels in ups.conf to a value that gives enough time to cleanly shutdown your system:
override.battery.charge.low = 30
override.battery.runtime.low = 180

In order for this to work, your UPS should be able to (reliably) report charge and/or runtime remaining on battery. Use with caution!

Source: http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/ups.conf.html

So the question is if this is supported by specific type of UPS or not.

paleoN

Wizard
BTW: Is there any way how to determine the "low battery" state? I was looking into UPS documentation but did not found any info about the specific values.
Documentation. Typically it's based on battery percentage, battery run-time or both. For my particular UPS it's both.

EDIT: Ok, i will answer myself. I checked the links in documentation and i found this:
Keep in mind those values are in the driver only. Depending on how smart or dumb your UPS is, you can set some thresholds in the UPS itself via upsrw. Use upsc to view the UPS values. You will need to create a NUT admin user under the Extra users section first.

So the question is if this is supported by specific type of UPS or not.
This you still need to determine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.