Easy to use but secure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobymcclash

Cadet
Hi guys, i got my FreeNAS up and running yesterday, but since that, I have searched for an easy way to make my nas accessible over internet.
The thing is, the client (a mac) that needs access is on the other side of the planet and the user is everything but techy.
So what I need is a somewhat secure way to make a cloud like service, that wont need me to install certificates or keys on the client.
I'm not experienced in FreeBSD, linux or anything like that, but if anyone can make just a simple step by step guide, I should be able to google my way around how to perform the steps :)
Any help is appreciated!

- Toby

Last edited by a moderator:

melloa

Wizard
secure way to make a cloud like service

If only to share files (and more like sync photos from your phone), try OwnCloud or NextCloud.

i have searched for an easy way to make my nas accessible over internet.

You don't want to do that. If you really need to access your NAS, setup a VPN to access your network.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Why not try and VPN in or screen share into the Mac then you can just set things up remotely?

tobymcclash

Cadet
If only to share files (and more like sync photos from your phone), try OwnCloud or NextCloud.
I have installed NextCloud, but how do I make that accessible outside of my lan, without opening a port?

Last edited by a moderator:

scrappy

Patron
I have installed NextCloud, but how do I make that accessible outside of my lan, without opening a port?

You cannot.

Without using a VPN (which also requires a listening port to be open) you must open a listening port for NextCloud on your router. Another thing: if you haven't setup TLS/SSL on your NextCloud instance, any communication between client and server will be sent in the clear meaning anyone could intercept your data including login credentials.

Probably the easiest and still secure way to connect to your FreeNAS box is through public key SSH. The remote client could use an SFTP client such as Filezilla or Cyberduck to access files remotely using public/private key encryption. If you did this be sure to disable password SSH login access on FreeNAS.

Stux

MVP
http://www.panic.com/transmit/

Transmit is an easy to use GUI for sftp/ftp/etc etc... and it can even mount SFTP in the finder.

It really can't get any easier than that.

So, you just need to setup a user with SSH access with unix privs to do what they need... then walk them through loging in with transmit.

screenshot-main@2x.png

Status
Not open for further replies.