Easiest way to Migrate with Snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

M H

Explorer
I should've also attached my config.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I see what you mean with the snapshots GUI.

You might be able to recover by just reverting the change you made to your CIFS share. The only thing I can think of that would connect snapshots to CIFS is if you have the share tied to a periodic snapshot task to enable file versioning in Windows. If that's the issue, I expect you'll have turn that off and create a new relationship.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
By the way, when the forum rules and participants ask for details of your hardware, that System Information screenshot is not what they mean. It includes some of the required information, but nowhere near all of it.

M H

Explorer
You are probably right. I do have file versioning enabled. I will disable and try to change focus.

Here are the specs/components so I play by the rules:
Supermicro X9SRA MB
Xeon e5-2603
16GB ECC
Raid1 - 3x4TB WD Red Pro

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Raid1 - 3x4TB WD Red Pro
Just to be pedantic, I'm pretty sure you have RAIDZ1, not RAID1.

But more to the point, RAIDZ1 with 4TB drives? That's a horrible idea, unless the data you store there is relatively unimportant or is one of three copies.

M H

Explorer
I have RAID1 Mirror (maybe I should just refer to it as mirror), All 3 4TB drives are mirrors.

What is the easiest way to separate the versioning? Delete my periodic snapshots? I remember that it just started working after starting them, not that I had to specifically enable versioning.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
In that case, I apologize for making an invalid assumption (or two). You have a very robust setup (but yes, it's correctly called a mirror, not RAID1).

Reactions: M H

M H

Explorer
In that case, I apologize for making an invalid assumption (or two). You have a very robust setup (but yes, it's correctly called a mirror, not RAID1).

I just want to thank you directly for answering my questions. I don't blame you on your assumption based on the other noobish questions I have been asking.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
What is the easiest way to separate the versioning?
I'm not really sure because I don't use it, but there is a selector in the CIFS share settings that hooks the share to a periodic snapshot task, so I'd start with that. Please keep in mind that your problem may lie elsewhere, this just happens to be the most obvious thing I can think of.

And you're welcome.

Reactions: M H

M H

Explorer
I just wanted to report that I was successful in the migration. Migrated full recursive back up. Destroyed the .system dataset on the destination array. Moved the system dataset. And lastly, changed the focus of my CIFS share.

Everything is up and running smoothly thanks to the forum. One thing I did notice, is that RSYNC treats all the data on the new array as "changed," so RSYNC tasks I had setup are reading everything as "new." I'll have to spend more time there or just let everything re-copy.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.