E-mail notifications when a dataset is near or at quota?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltxda

Cadet
First post to forum. Hi everyone. :)

FreeNAS is awesome and so far I'm loving it. Just started using it to replace my other NAS units. Is there a way to get e-mail notifications when a dataset is nearing the quota limit and when the quota has been reached? Looking for a way to get e-mail notifications. Not sure if there's a native way to do it or if there's a script that can be setup via cron to run periodically.

I tried to search for this within the forum but was not able to find it. If you know of a previous post where this has been discussed and can link me i would greatly appreciate it.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Are you referring to quotas setup for datasets or for the pool itself?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Doesn't it already do this natively? Not that I have personally ever filled my Pool >= 80% though, but per the Manual:

Some of the conditions that trigger an alert include:
  • used space on a volume goes over 80%

Maybe this occurs in the "Security Run Output" emails? Would be nice if someone who actually did get to this point could confirm/deny it though...

nojohnny101

Wizard
I can confirm that an email is sent when the pool reaches 80% but I was asking because I don't believe an email will be sent if a quota set on a dataset reaches 80%.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yeah, it'll send notifications for the pool, but I don't believe it will for dataset quotas. Sounds like a decent new feature request, though. @ltxda, you can file one by using the green Report a Bug link at the top of the page.

ltxda

Cadet
Are you referring to quotas setup for datasets or for the pool itself?
Dataset. I have a dataset for each user setup with quotas. I want to get an email notice if it's x% full and then when full.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

ltxda

Cadet
Yeah, it'll send notifications for the pool, but I don't believe it will for dataset quotas. Sounds like a decent new feature request, though. @ltxda, you can file one by using the green Report a Bug link at the top of the page.
Thank you. Feature request submitted. Appreciate the recommendation. This would be something nice to have in FreeNAS and maybe not too difficult to add. One can hope. :)

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Feature request submitted.

I hope you don't mind that I just added a note to your feature request #17923. A feature like this might be even more useful if a notification was sent if a dataset's value of the USED property reaches AVAIL. In this way, limits imposed by reservations set for other datasets in the same pool would be taken into account, too, not only quota set for the dataset in question.

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but having just upgraded to 11.1 from 9.10.1 it would appear this functionality has been introduced somewhere in between.

How do I stop it sending alerts to say my dataset is over the 80% limit?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
How do I stop it sending alerts to say my dataset is over the 80% limit?

AFAICT not possible without hacking FreeNAS internals. There's already a bug report about configurable capacity alerts (currently in backlog).

Edit: Of course the old bug report about dataset quota and the more recent bug report about pools are different topics when looked at in some more detail. Common element is configurable capacity alerts.

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
I've added a more specific one #33909

Struggle to understand how any developers can create something like this without the configurable options (e.g. on/off, threshold value) to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.