Hello all! First off here's the current system:

Supermicro X10SRL-F
E5-1650 V3
128GB Samsung ECC Ram
Intel X520-DA2
LSI-9207
EVGA P2 850
Freenas 9.10

Currently I have 12 HGST NAS 4TB drives in mirrored Vdevs used as my main storage. 4 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD's in mirrored Vdevs for jails.

I wanted to add another volume for IP camera storage. I was figuring four 6TB drives in a RaidZ1 would provide enough storage, but wasn't sure on what drives would be recommended.

Any advice would be excellent.

Thank you!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
WD Red are very popular around here, and Seagate NAS drives seem like a reasonable alternative. The main thing is to get NAS drives.

Stux

MVP
WD Red are very popular around here, and Seagate NAS drives seem like a reasonable alternative. The main thing is to get NAS drives.

The 8 seagate NAS HD drives I just got in came with a 5 year warranty too.

If you're building a multi-drive RAID array (ie FreeNAS), then I think that part overrules the "DVR" part.

WD sell green, blue, black, gold, red and purple drives.

blue/green don't work well in raid
gold is overkill
red is for multibay raid
purple is for multibay dvr

The Purple ones are ostensibly for Surveillance (up to 32 IP cameras)... but the red ones are for multi-bay raid systems.

They both support TLER

ZFS's write pattern would be quite different to how the Purple drives would normally expect to be used...

I'd recommend the Red over the Purple.

So go for the NAS drive.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! That's what I was thinking since ZFS will be doing the writing on not a standard DVR.

Status
Not open for further replies.