Dude, where's my WebGUI password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

watha

Dabbler
I just installed the latest version of FreeNAS. I set up the WebGUI interface, complete with password. I have since logged out. And now the password no longer works! I'm sure I'm entering it correctly, too, as I have a password app in my browser that recorded it. So why the heck did my password stop working, and how can I reset it if I can't log in? Help! And thanks.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Reset it by connecting a monitor and keyboard and select the rest password option. Also make sure you are using root as your user when logging onto the web ui.

pcavaco

Cadet
Hello,

I have the same issue with a 9.2 freenas install. I don't have physical access to the server but am able to SSH as root.

So far I have tried:
python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/manage.py changepassword admin
and get the message: CommandError: user 'admin' does not exist

python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/manage.py createsuperuser
after entering a user name and password I get the error: AttributeError: 'UserManager' object has no attribute 'create_superuser'

What else can I try? Is there a way to do the password reset mentioned above over ssh?

Thanks,
Philip

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hello,

I have the same issue with a 9.2 freenas install. I don't have physical access to the server but am able to SSH as root.

So far I have tried:
python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/manage.py changepassword admin
and get the message: CommandError: user 'admin' does not exist

python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/manage.py createsuperuser
after entering a user name and password I get the error: AttributeError: 'UserManager' object has no attribute 'create_superuser'

What else can I try? Is there a way to do the password reset mentioned above over ssh?

Thanks,
Philip
You should be using root as your web GUI login. Not admin

joeschmuck

Old Man

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
During the reading of this post...
I went back to re-read the manual regarding that part, and I think the notes should be amended to the
password/password confirmation step with a warning NOT to ever change the user name from "root".
Not that anyone would read it of course bahahaha!

pcavaco

Cadet
Thanks that was exactly the problem.

I manage multiple Freenas systems others are on older versions where admin is the default login user for the webui. I've updated my notes so it shouldn't be a problem again.

Status
Not open for further replies.