Drives not spinning down using 8.0.3-MM

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have an issue with the drives not spinning down. They use to spin down when I used 8.0.1 but then I upgraded to 8.0.3-MM and they do not spin down.

I have stopped CRON (due to a possible issue keeping the drive up) but that failed also.

I unplugged the network cable thinking maybe something was polling the NAS, but no luck.

I only have MiniDLNA running from the MM set.

I can shut them down manually via "ataidle -S 5 /dev/ada0" for example. They stay down and do not spin back up unless I try to access them.

I have of course rebooted a few times as well. My system has no video card either. I might try installing it just to see if there is a difference but it was out in the previous version I ran and the drives slept fine.

Not sure to do next but would love some advice.

-Mark

joeschmuck

Old Man
More work on this shows that once I issued "ataidle -S 5 /dev/ada0" command yesterday that the drives are operating properly. The drives spin up when needed and spin down 5 minutes later (5 minutes is not optimal but works for faster troubleshooting). So now I'm thinking the HDD Standby routine is broken again. I will install the latest 8.0.4-MM build just to verify this. If it's true, I'll post a ticket.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have installed the upgrade to 8.0.4-MM Beta 2 and the HDD Standby feature (spin down) works fine so far.

This means either I introduced a problem or there was an issue in 8.0.3, either way it doesn't matter because 8.0.4 will be out shortly.

warri

Guru
Thanks for posting, I'm having the same issues after upgrading from 8.0.1-BETA2 to 8.0.2. The adaidle command is putting them to sleep properly, too.
So I'll wait for 8.0.4 Final and upgrade then :)

G

gcooper

Thanks for posting, I'm having the same issues after upgrading from 8.0.1-BETA2 to 8.0.2. The adaidle command is putting them to sleep properly, too.
So I'll wait for 8.0.4 Final and upgrade then :)

8.0.3-p1 updated ataidle to a proper version (8.0.3 used a buggy version, and 8.0.2 and prior used older versions which may or may not also have been bugged in different ways). I'm not sure if you installed 8.0.3-*p1, but that would definitely be a useful datapoint when determining what exactly was happening.

warri

Guru
Just upgraded to FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64 (9591), and the drives do indeed spin down correctly now.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just upgraded to FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64 (9591), and the drives do indeed spin down correctly now.

If you installed that version and it works then that is proof to me that I did something to my installation that caused the drives to not spin down because I was running that same version. I did a lot of testing with this version and I could have invoked something which kept the drives up. I was doing a lot with SMART which could have caused something. Not sure. Well 8.0.4-MM Beta 2 is working well for me so we will see if I can screw it up.

warri

Guru
You are right, I did not check correctly. Just one of my HDDs, which forms its own pool did spin down. After some more testing and variations in stand-by time I was not able to spin down the other, big pool consisting of 6 HDDs with 8.0.3-p1. The other, single hdd works fine, though.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Recommend you change to 8.0.4-RC1 or just wait a few more days for the "Release" version to come out. I honestly doubt there will be much, if any of a change from RC-1 to release.
8.0.4-RC1 is working properly for me right now. I'm using the MultiMedia build but I had tried the regular one by accident for just over 24 hours and it worked as well.

It would be nice to know if this fixes your issues. Also you might try to just save your configuration file, reset to factory defaults, then restore your configuration file. That actually made 8.0.3 work again for me. I don't know why it worked but it did. I figure there was some stray bit of data causing an issue.

warri

Guru
I upgraded to FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-x64 (10351) today, now all drives spin down as expected. Thanks :)
Didn't try the configuration file workaround..

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad it worked for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.