smartd keeps drives from sleeping -> set interval at startup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

david31262

Dabbler
I believe smartd is keeping the drives from spinning down. Actually, My seagate drives seem to spin down ok, but the Hitachi do not.

I killed the smartd process and the drives are now spinning down ok.

Note: I modified ix-ataidle to add the "S" option:
if [ "${disk_hddstandby}" != "Always On" ]; then
(sleep 60; /usr/local/sbin/ataidle -S ${disk_hddstandby} ${disk_disks}) > /dev/null 2>&1 &
fi

settings for all drives (there are 12):
HDD Standby = 120
Adv pwr Management = 128
SMART = True
SMART Options: -n standby,q (keeps drive from kicking up when smartd hits in standby mode)

I'd like to be able to set the smartd run interval. Right now, I believe it's the default of every 30 minutes. I'm thinking every few days would be plenty. If I'm understanding the option, the "-i" must be used when smartd is launched (I suppose this is in ix-smartd, but I'm not understand how to modify the smartd launch).

A gui option to set the smartd interval would be helpful.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Smart GUI will be available in BETA3, so far it is not possible, unless you manually modify /conf/etc/rc.d/ix-smartd and restart.. (will not survive across upgrades)

david31262

Dabbler
Thanks.

I don't understand how "smard" is launched in "ix-smartd" (over my linux head). I assume it's the run command at the end. Can you give me an example of how to modify ix-smartd to run smartd with an interval, eg:

smartd -i 10000

(It sounds like this will not be a big deal with 8.1)

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Yeah, actually ix-smartd generates the smartd.conf, you can tell smartd.conf to do not "scan" any device... or to scan them with -n standby

Raising the -i to a higher value (anything above 60 minutes) is not recommended tho, if you really want to change that it should be done in /etc/rc.conf.local
smartd_flags="-i 10000"

Status
Not open for further replies.