Drives not detected by BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phe0nix

Explorer
I flashed the LSI controller to IT mode on my ASRock EC224DI-14s and installed Verison 9.3 and copied 7.5 GB of video to the NAS and after going into the BIOS it doesn't detect my 6 X 3 TB HDD's but FreeNAS does, is this normal ?

On another note, i was have having issues getting the install to show up as a network resource and after changing so many permissions i ended up starting over by formatting the USB stick 3 times until i finally was able to gain access consistently. The inital install showed 10.9 TB of available space and each time added my drives by creating the Volume over i understood that all existing data would be cleared and i didn't select to encrypt the data and after the 3rd install it's only reporting 10.5 TB so 409 GB of space is missing somehow and i've only copied 7.5 GB of data so how can i get this 409 GB of space back ?

I don't mind starting all over again if i can clear all data from my Hard Drives since it appears starting over via formatting the USB drive and creating a new volume doesn't clear all data or so it would appear.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I flashed the LSI controller to IT mode on my ASRock EC224DI-14s and installed Verison 9.3 and copied 7.5 GB of video to the NAS and after going into the BIOS it doesn't detect my 6 X 3 TB HDD's but FreeNAS does, is this normal ?
Yes. Be sure you used the P16 firmware (the GUI will warn you if it's a different version).

marbus90

Guru
unmount the pool, then do this command for each data disk:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/$HDD

That clears the partition table, on reformat you should now see the whole 10.9TB again.
(backups are fun. :D)

Phe0nix

Explorer
I am new to all this. I would assume i do this within freenas by selecting shell and that i dont need to CD from wherever the shell starts me out. Do i need to type a command to list all pools and i also assume that command won't affect the pool i want to keep.
Do i unmount the pools in the GUI or via the shell?

I would just do it but im at work on my mobile

Thank you for all your help

When you say "BIOS" do you mean the motherboards BIOS, or the M1015's start menu. if youre talking about the BIOS you press F2 or DEL to get into, no the harddrives wont show in there. If youre talking about the M1015 not showing them then they wouldnt show in FreeNAS....

I suspect youre talking about the motherboards BIOS

Phe0nix

Explorer
Correct motherboard bios via the delete key. Thats good to know.

Thanks

Correct motherboard bios via the delete key. Thats good to know.

Thanks
Yea the drives wont show in there, when the server is booting, and it gets to the M1015 screen as long as the drives show there thats what matters.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yea the drives wont show in there, when the server is booting, and it gets to the M1015 screen as long as the drives show there thats what matters.
If he did the firmware update to the M1015 "correctly", he didn't include the boot ROM, and thus won't see an M1015 screen with drives listed. As long as FreeNAS sees them (which it does in this case), it's all good.

If he did the firmware update to the M1015 "correctly", he didn't include the boot ROM, and thus won't see an M1015 screen with drives listed. As long as FreeNAS sees them (which it does in this case), it's all good.
Thats good info to have, thanks Danb35

Phe0nix

Explorer
unmount the pool, then do this command for each data disk:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/$HDD

That clears the partition table, on reformat you should now see the whole 10.9TB again.
(backups are fun. :D)

I've been searching for an hour and can't find the out what to do. I used the command "zpool status" and here is what i got. At the prompt do
i simply type dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/$da0 ( da0 thru da5 ) by choosing option #9 and if i understand you right running that command on each
disk from the shell will clear all partitions for all 6 drives and then i'll loose my existing pool and will need to start over with the freenas install and when i create a volume again that will reformat the drives and i'll have my 10.9 TB again or can i reformat from the shell using some command ?

Zpool_status.jpg

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
You don't need to restart the FreeNAS install (only if you want to). As soon as the partition table is cleared off each disk, just create a new zpool with the 6 drives, it should show you full size then.

Phe0nix

Explorer
You don't need to restart the FreeNAS install (only if you want to). As soon as the partition table is cleared off each disk, just create a new zpool with the 6 drives, it should show you full size then.

Thanks , Getting Undefined variable when running that command:

zfs unmount -f Plex

cannot unmount /mnt/Plex/Media : device is busy

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/$da0

Undefined Variable

And when i use the Shell in the GUI i get "dd: /dev/: is a directory"

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
if you define the variable "da0" that would work, but the easier way is to use "/dev/da0" (and replace da0 with the respective HDDs)as target. ;)

Phe0nix

Explorer
if you define the variable "da0" that would work, but the easier way is to use "/dev/da0" (and replace da0 with the respective HDDs)as target. ;)

When you say replace "da0" with the respective HDD's do you mean replace the da0 with the HDD's serial number ?o_O

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da2
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da3
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da4
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da5

each command run for about a minute should be enough.

Phe0nix

Explorer
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da2
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da3
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da4
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da5

each command run for about a minute should be enough.

Thanks for all your help :) i had tried those commands but the volume ( pool ) just doesn't want to unmount and searched and learned to use the -f command and even that doesn't unmount it because
it's busy and i've closed the GUI and restarted the NAS and it still won't unmount.:mad:

Thanks , Getting Operation not permitted when running that command:

zfs unmount -f Plex

cannot unmount /mnt/Plex/Media : device is busy

Operation not permitted ( tried to force it to unmount and it won't unmount so i guess that's why this command doesn't work )

marbus90

Guru
Then you may run something like the Ubuntu Live-CD (hooray for IPMI) and do it from its shell. First, list all your disks with
Code:
fdisk -l

then use that exact same command (maybe HDDs are called ada0 instead of da0, fdisk tells you that).

Fraoch

Patron

Thanks for all your help :) i had tried those commands but the volume ( pool ) just doesn't want to unmount and searched and learned to use the -f command and even that doesn't unmount it because
it's busy and i've closed the GUI and restarted the NAS and it still won't unmount.:mad:

This may be perhaps that FreeNAS is not allowing you access to the raw drives because they form a pool.

You can temporarily let it allow you access to the individual drives by typing:

Code:
sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10

in the shell and when you're done, reboot.

There is an obligatory warning when doing this that it's dangerous in that if you alter a single bit on the drive you will lose your pool, but since @Phe0nix is planning on reformatting each drive with that command, that's not a concern here.

Phe0nix

Explorer
Then you may run something like the Ubuntu Live-CD (hooray for IPMI) and do it from its shell. First, list all your disks with
Code:
fdisk -l

then use that exact same command (maybe HDDs are called ada0 instead of da0, fdisk tells you that).
We'll i used IPMI and loaded Ubuntu ( 981 MB ) and didn't see a terminal so i loaded Gparted ( 219 MB ) and it listed all six drives in the GUI and i select the Unknow and Plex volumes and hit delete and then i had unallocated space after
doing this for all 6 drives and reinstalled Freenas and tried to create a volume 3 times and it wouldn't create it until i restarted the NAS. After a restart i was able to create a Volume and dataset but still was left with 10.5 TB so i guess i need to reformat
the drive via Gparted but the format option was grayed out.
I tried to unmount via the shell in freenas but the voume that was created isn't mounted so i don't know what is going on. When i try to run dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 i get operation not permitted even though the volume isn't mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.