Drive "Removing" during restriping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neomancer

Cadet
I have recently setup my first FreeNAS server, and I am very happy with it.

I am having an issue with my storage however. After setting up the system I began getting SMART errors for one of my 3TB drives. It was under warranty so I received a replacement from WD and installed it, replacing the failed drive using the GUI replace. (The drive is a WD Green, not ideal I know but one of those was working in this pool before. The other drive is a WD Red.)

It adds the drive and begins resilvering, but after about 4 hours I get an error that the drive has been removed. Strangely it keeps resilvering after this, (at least according to zpool status) and eventually completes. It has done this a couple of times. The current output of zpool status is below:
Code:
~]$ zpool status Media
  pool: Media
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator.
        Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
        degraded state.
action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device with
        'zpool replace'.
  scan: resilvered 595G in 6h57m with 0 errors on Wed Sep  3 02:43:37 2014
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Media                                           DEGRADED     0     0     0
          mirror-0                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0
            gptid/03ee7825-2bcc-11e4-998f-001b214d4deb  ONLINE       0     0     0
            4950834998254464550                         REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/d01d7092-3182-11e4-86ab-001b214d4deb

errors: No known data errors

If I attempt to online the drive I get the error below:
Code:
~]$ zpool online Media /dev/gptid/d01d7092-3182-11e4-86ab-001b214d                  4deb
cannot online /dev/gptid/d01d7092-3182-11e4-86ab-001b214d4deb: permission denied

If I reboot the server it detects the drive and begins resilvering again.

I was hoping someone might have an idea as to what is going on. I have all the data in this pool backed up elsewhere, and the pool is still functioning, so if the answer is rebuilt the pool from scratch so be it, but if there is something I am missing I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Yatti420

Wizard
Did you test the drive before trying run FreeNAS? What does smart say on the new drive? Also wdidle needs to be run on greens but shouldn't drop the drive from pool..

Please post hardware aswell.. And the result from smart query on the green.. I prefer to test replacements outside of FreeNAS before placing in for replacement..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Neomancer

Cadet
Thank you for your reply.

I have done a SMART test outside of FreeNAS, in Ubuntu, and it shows no errors or issues. It does however show two partitions, a 2.2TB swap and a 3TB ZFS, which is strange. I am reformating the drive in Ubuntu to EXT and I will run wdidle as suggested and re-add it.

What hardware information would you like me to provide?

Yatti420

Wizard
Please provide all hardware you run and results of the smart query.. Run a short and long smart test to start.. A drive dropping from the pool at random sounds like either the new drive is bad or you have hardware issues..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.