Does Swap have to be activated?

AVB

Contributor
My FreeNas box is just media server, albeit a pretty large one. I was doing some transfers from another computer that totaled about 2TB. When it was over I looked at some of the reports and saw the swap usage was zero. All my discs have the regular installed 2GB of swap and the total swap size shown is 10GB which I don't understand either since there are 18 drives in the pool comprised of 2 vdevs in a RaidZ2 configuration. I would think the swap should be 28GB. This box has 64GB of memory and it was shown to be maxed out during the copying process. I thought, perhaps mistakenly, swap would be used when memory was maxed out.

My backup box which only has 32GB of memory also shows 10GB of swap with none being used no matter what the load.

My questions are: Should I see some swap usage or not? If I am supposed to see some swap usage how do I know if it is on and is it something I have to turn on - if so where?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you have enough RAM... and that's a must for FreeNAS... swap use is rare to non-existant.

FreeNAS will only select 5 disks to use in the swap drive in any session (selected "randomly" at every boot).

Swap is there to handle extreme situations. If you disable it (there are some guides out there which suggest ways to do it), your box will simply kernel panic instead of swapping, so if you want to look into that and do it, fine.

2GB is nothing on a multi-TB disk, so I don't lose any sleep over it.

AVB

Contributor
Thank you for the reply. If 64GB isn't enough I just ordered another 32GB for both the main box and backup box which will take me to 96 and 64GB respectively. I wasn't worried about the 2GB on the discs. I was just wondering why it was never used even though memory was maxing out. Maybe on the next disc upgrade I'll play with making the swap larger and see if that does anything.

sretalla