SOLVED Does iocage now needs a terminal type manually set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tprelog

Patron
So I'm not even sure where to begin with this one.
Basically it seems like a terminal type has either been changed or is no longer being set correctly inside an iocage jail. I first noticed this problem using a bash script I created that uses screen to install/update Home Assistant. Everything worked great from the time I made this script back on FreeNAS 11.1-U2, up to and including FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3. Now after upgrading to FreeNAS 11.2-RC1 My script crashes with a message that reads Please set a terminal type..

I first thought it was a problem with my script but now I am realizing I cant even do something as simple as edit a text file without first manually setting a terminal type using setenv TERM vt100

I'm not really sure how else to describe this problem so I am including a few screen shots to hopefully help. For now lets forget my script and use a very simple example using ee.

I have created a new jail called test-jailusing
Code:
iocage create -r 11.2-RELEASE boot=on dhcp=on bpf=yes vnet=on -n test-jail

Next I enter the jail console iocage console test-jail
Now I try to create a file using ee testfile
Already I can see something is wrong as the menu is all on one line across the bottom of my terminal
upload_2018-11-14_21-20-36.png

I exit ee and set the terminal type manually using setenv TERM vt100 and again try creating a test file
Now the editor opens and looks as expected
upload_2018-11-14_21-5-55.png

So is this a bug in iocage console or is this a known change?
If this is a known change can someone please point me to some reading related to this and how I can set this correctly while creating a new a jail?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's a known bug, I believe to be fixed in RC2. And it's been discussed in many other threads here (though I think xterm is a more common suggestion for terminal type).

tprelog

Patron
@danb35 Thanks. I try to find these answers before posting but unfortunately, in this case, I just don't know exactly what I'm searching for :(

rfanch3r

Dabbler
@tprelog I ran into the same issue but I have resolved this by activating ssh and just ssh'ing in as soon as I make a jail.

tprelog

Patron
@rfanch3r That's a good tip for doing things manually but it doesn't help my plugin/jail script for installing/upgrading Home Assistant working again. Fortunately according to this it looks like 11.2-RC2 should be released tomorrow. As mentioned above by @danb35 this will hopefully be resolved. I believe the problem is related to issue here: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/52237

Last edited:

tprelog

Patron
Can I ask what you are doing? I was actually looking into running HAAS.

@rfanch3r
Basically I started with this last guide I put together for manually installing HASS (in a virtualenv) on FreeNAS 11 using iocage. Then I made that guide into a bash script for installing in a standard iocage jail. Also I had a separate script with the same function but was a "plugin jail" that I had been playing around with. Eventually I figured out how I could combine both scripts into one (although installing as a "plugin" has less options.)

Have a look in the Home Assistant forum for my latest and most complete effort which includes just about everything learned and questions I've answered since the very first guide I put together for HASS using the warden system back on FreeNAS 9.10. I think I still need to add some text explanation for some of the screenshots related to FreeNAS but work has been busy. Hopefully I'll get this completed for the actual FreeNAS 11.2 release. At that time I plan to add this to FreeNAS Resource section. In the mean time there is still a bunch of info in this post, be sure to click anywhere you see "show me"
https://community.home-assistant.io...gurator-mosquitto-and-tasmoadmin/71882?u=troy

For a no-details and straight to the point instruction on my script have a look in the FreeNAS forum
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ome-assistant-mosquitto-and-tasmoadmin.70435/

tprelog

Patron
I just wanted to confirm I've updated to 11.2-RC2 and the issue with my script as well as weird behavior while trying to use ee or nano have indeed been fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.