Resource icon

Automatic install OpenVPN inside iocage Jail in FreeNAS all versions 2020-09-15

Bibi40k

Contributor
We can also try solve this remotely via TeamViewer (also helps me to understand and fix this bug). I used it on 3 different FreeNAS servers with both 11.2 and 11.3 version without any error.

spgrvl

Dabbler
Here you can see the Jail and Gateway IP, seems fine to me:
putty_2020-05-15_11-54-07.png

As for the ovpn-install.cfg it's untouched now, previously I changed username and port, but I don't think that makes any difference at current state. As mentioned I get the same error with or without changes in the cfg file.

Bibi40k

Contributor
indeed, looks perfect.
Please rerun the script (i hope i fixed showing error to logfile)

run "the cleaner"
run install again

please output the result

spgrvl

Dabbler
indeed, looks perfect.
Please rerun the script (i hope i fixed showing error to logfile)

run "the cleaner"
run install again

please output the result
Code:
[..] adjust values in 'openvpn.conf' file...

Something went wrong, exiting.
[info] Display error(s) in a sec.

Log file: /root/OpenVPN-on-FreeNAS-in-iocage/openvpn-configs/ovpn-install.log
No default gateway found for ipv6.
sed: 1: "s|{IP_RANGE}|172.16.0.0 ...": unescaped newline inside substitute pattern

Interesting... I have ipv6 disabled on my router, maybe it's trying to make an ipv6 connection without any luck?
Thanks for the quick fix in log!

Bibi40k

Contributor
run these 2 commands
cat /root/OpenVPN-on-FreeNAS-in-iocage/openvpn-configs/server/openvpn.conf

netstat -rn | grep -E "U[^A-Z]" | grep -v lo0 | awk '{print $1;}' | sed "s/\/.*//g"

spgrvl

Dabbler
run these 2 commands
cat /root/OpenVPN-on-FreeNAS-in-iocage/openvpn-configs/server/openvpn.conf

netstat -rn | grep -E "U[^A-Z]" | grep -v lo0 | awk '{print $1;}' | sed "s/\/.*//g"

Code:
root@freenas[~/OpenVPN-on-FreeNAS-in-iocage]# cat /root/OpenVPN-on-FreeNAS-in-iocage/openvpn-configs/server/openvpn.conf
port 1194
proto udp4
dev tun
ca {DKEYS}/ca.crt
cert {DKEYS}/openvpn-server.crt
key {DKEYS}/openvpn-server.key
dh {DKEYS}/dh.pem
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
ifconfig-pool-persist {DSERVER}/ipp.txt
push "route {IP_RANGE} 255.255.255.0"
keepalive 10 120
tls-auth {DKEYS}/ta.key 0
remote-cert-tls client
cipher AES-256-CBC
user nobody
group nobody
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-status.log
verb 3
explicit-exit-notify 1

Code:
root@freenas[~/OpenVPN-on-FreeNAS-in-iocage]# netstat -rn | grep -E "U[^A-Z]" | grep -v lo0 | awk '{print $1;}' | sed "s/\/.*//g"

I think the first 3 are vnet on freenas and the last one is my physical network adapter. Not sure what the 3 first should look like...

Bibi40k

Contributor
bingo, this is the problem.
it shoould return only "192.168.72.0". trying to find a solution

spgrvl

Dabbler
bingo, this is the problem.
it shoould return only "192.168.72.0". trying to find a solution
Is that right? I mean I'm running the command as root on freenas, not in the OpenVPN jail itself, so vnets of other running jails/VMs should show up as well...
I'll turn off other jails & VM's and report back the output.

spgrvl

Dabbler
Is that right? I mean I'm running the command as root on freenas, not in the OpenVPN jail itself, so vnets of other running jails/VMs should show up as well...
I'll turn off other jails & VM's and report back the output.
Followup on that, after disabling every other running jail & VM, I do indeed get only "192.168.72.0":
Code:
root@freenas[~/OpenVPN-on-FreeNAS-in-iocage]# netstat -rn | grep -E "U[^A-Z]" | grep -v lo0 | awk '{print $1;}' | sed "s/\/.*//g"

Tried cleaning and installing, I'm doing the setup now and it passed that point of failure.
Not sure if there will be any concequences if after the installation I turn on those jails / VMs...
Will report back!

Bibi40k

Contributor
i fixed that detection, please rerun the script and it will update with my changes.

Bibi40k

Contributor
no there is no consequence, that error was in a moment of find and replace values.

Anyway, please run the cleaner, enable all jails like before and rerun the install. This helps me to know if i fixed that issue

spgrvl

Dabbler
I see, thanks a lot for the quick fixes!
I did a clean install again with the jails/VM's enabled and installation run smoothly!
I can't currently reboot my router in order to open the set port, I'll do that later today and post the results.

Also I noticed a couple minor "issues", first is that after the "Re-Enter New CA Key Passphrase:" step, it expects another "enter" from user to continue. Also I could not make the email work, that might be an issue on my part, I have never used the sendmail module, maybe I need to set something in order for it to send the email successfully.

spgrvl

Dabbler
I just configured everything, I had to also edit the server's openvpn.conf in order to get dns from my router and be able to access devices by hostname like "freenas.my-lan", etc.
It works great now, thanks again @Bibi40k for the fast personalized help and for your contribution to the freenas community!

Also I would like to make a suggestion for future version if I may: I think it would be practical to have an option to set DDNS in ovpn-install.cfg so that people without static IPs can set their ddns without having to edit the .ovpn files manually and include it.

Last edited:

frunkAf

Cadet
Flawless and quick install. Thank you so much for this.

I tried my hand at doing it manually with your guide but I could not get the service to start. One of these days I will succesfully perform an OpenVPN manual install but today I used this script.

Bibi40k

Contributor
The only difference between manual and script is the time it takes because the script is nothing more than successive commands you should type manually :)

cewjr9842

Cadet
@Bibi40k Thank you for your work on this guide. I have been trying to place my freenas behind a VPN and was having issues.
I was able to run steps 1 and 2 , however when i get to step 3 I get this below:
2020-06-03 23_26_07-192.168.1.201 - PuTTY.png

and it just goes to the install menu again. Am I doing something wrong?

cewjr9842

Cadet
@Bibi40k Thank you for your work on this guide. I have been trying to place my freenas behind a VPN and was having issues.
I was able to run steps 1 and 2 , however when i get to step 3 I get this below:
View attachment 38995

Also here is my config

Attachments

• ovpn-install.cfg.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 391

Bibi40k

Contributor
View attachment 38995

Hi, as it said, that feature is not yet implemented. 1-9 are menu options not steps to follow in that order.
Actually the proper order is 8 (where you customise settings including profiles) and then 1 and that's it. Once in a while rerun the script with option 2 to check for updates. Also backing up settings with "The Keeper" is a good idea because you can import them anywhere else if needed.

So if you already run 1 and 2 what is the problem because your server is already running ?

cewjr9842

Cadet
Hi, as it said, that feature is not yet implemented. 1-9 are menu options not steps to follow in that order.
Actually the proper order is 8 (where you customise settings including profiles) and then 1 and that's it. Once in a while rerun the script with option 2 to check for updates. Also backing up settings with "The Keeper" is a good idea because you can import them anywhere else if needed.

So if you already run 1 and 2 what is the problem because your server is already running ?

I am a noob to openvpn on freenas thats all, but its well needed for my setup. I am not sure how to determine if it is already running? Also Am I supposed to edit anything in the openvpn-install.cfg at this point

Bibi40k

Contributor
running "the watcher" will show what you need.
also if you can connect, it means is running :)