Do we have an up to date guide for Crashplan, which works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'm tempted to hose my entire crashplan install and just start from scratch.
I'd like one which is version 4.5 (or whatever the latest now is?) so I can use the desktop client to talk to it with ease.

My 4.3 crashplan woes went on for ages but I ignored them, because my selections for CP were still pretty robust (an entire /backup/ directory, recursive) so as long as data was put in there, I was ok.

I've now found my crashplan snapshots are 34gb a pop and I'm seeing that somehow, god knows how, my crashplan jail is storing 34gb of data, despite the fact the backup is meant to be going to a server elsewhere (I believe it's actually correctly doing that)

Long story short, is all the crashplan not updating stuff all fixed now? Even if it means I scrap my backups (for the time being, I know I'm safe, I'm ok with that)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Best answer I have (and what I'm doing) is to install Ubuntu in a VM somewhere and run crashplan on that. I use NFS exports for the directories on my FreeNAS box that I want to back up, and mount them read-only in the VM. This way, I can run the CrashPlan Desktop app "locally" (via a VNC connection to the VM), rather than the headless method that CrashPlan seems actively, and increasingly, hostile toward. A new installation can "adopt" backups from a previous one, so you should be good there as well.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I don't think I can afford the ram to switch to a VM unfortunately :/

Status
Not open for further replies.