Anyone tried a Virtual Machine running CrashPlan that points to iSCSI on freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sroot

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
[A little intro]
I'm brand new to FreeNas but not computing. I just researched and built myself a nice FreeNas box to replace an aging ReadyNAS. One of the reasons for choosing FreeNAS was it working with CrashPlan. I didn't realise it wasn't quite so simple to make it work though! So, I've been thinking around how I can make a more robust solution for my use case.

[My Use Case]
I'm a strong believer in backup. So strong, I bought my girlfriend a Crashplan Pro subscription to back up her computer. Yeah, I got that 'good job I love you, wierdo' response. That was right up until the day 6 months later when her hard drive failed. So I brought the PC into work where we have very fast internet, swapped out the disk, started the restore and discovered to my displeasure that Crashplan Pro limits the restore rate. My testing of Crashplan in the past had only been for individual files so I'd not noticed.
So, I want to run crashplan at work as a destination for my girlfriends (& parents, & siblings) backups to be received at.
I've no need to send data a *to* Crashplan from the ReadyNAS.

[My idea]
The FreeNAS at work is just a destination for backups.
We have a server with several virtual machines running and plenty of capacity.
I was thinking I could;
a) Create a Virtual Machine with desktop interface, say a Linux that's supported by Crashplan.
b) Create an iSCSI location on the FreeNAS, connect it to my VM
c) Install CrashPlan on the VM and point it to my new iSCSI storage, share the CrashPlan code with friends.

I read the 450 results on Crashplan searching the forum but none mentioned a setup like this, so I'd like to ask; Has anyone tried this or something like this? Did it work? Any things to be wary of?

Many Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Iscsi and crashplan work fine but I used to prefer mounting an NFS share on a linux client, and running crashplan on the linux client. That way I didn't have to worry about being limited to one zvol.

Status
Not open for further replies.