SOLVED Do VM resources work the same way as Corral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murac

Dabbler
I never really used Corral but I remember posts about setting up your 'container' VM suggested giving max vCPUs and plenty of RAM as it would only be used as needed.

Does the same apply with bhyve/iohyve?

I've got an Ubuntu VM with 2 cores, and 8gb ram running Rancher and my suite of docker containers, currently.

I guess the question boils down to: Are these 2 cores (and as I add more as needed) forever cleaved from the FreeNAS host? I'm running Plex in a jail and so I'm trying to find the right balance. 2 cores is kinda sufficient for now, but I can already feel pressure building.

I've got:
MB: Supermicro X8DTE-F
PROCESSOR: DUAL INTEL XEON L5640 2.26GHZ SIX CORE CPU WITH 12MB CACHE
MEMORY: 96GB MEMORY ( 12X 8GB) DDR-3 ECC

The ultimate solution here is finally putting to use the extra mobo, cpu, and ram (same specs except 48GB RAM) I have into a cheap rosewill case and running all my virtualization there, but i'm deterred by increased power consumption.

Thanks!

Stux

MVP
Would like to know this too.

D

dlavigne

I asked our VM developer who indicated:

We don't have pinned guest CPU and we don't wire memory to any guest. However, once passthrough is supported we will need to wire memory. So, it is dynamic: if the guest isn't using the resource, the resource will be free.

Murac

Dabbler
that's good information, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.