Do I really need a NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC

Contributor
Although I really want to put together a NAS just for the fun of it, the practical side of me says do I really need a dedicated NAS system? Some of the questions I'm asking myself are as follows:

1) If I'm really only looking to backup data from 4 home computers and will never really be streaming data from more that one machine at a time, why wouldn't I just set up a Windows Homegroup and just leave the one main computer on all the time?

2) Since this would be a fairly simple home system, if I did go with a NAS would a mid-range consumer MB with an Intel i3 be enough processor?

Thanks,
-TAC

Yatti420

Wizard
You can save money buy acquiring cheaper drives less capacity for backups.. A supermicro board is going to be the same price is as your mid-range board.. You could use an I3 I do Believe some support ECC? A pentium g will aswell.. I needed a place to sort out all my files a redundant nas is a good start.. Yes ECC is required for long term safe & redundant storage...

scurrier

Patron
If you use ZFS and what the data protection features that it offers, you must use ECC. Search around for the reasons why.

1. Leaving one computer on is more of a pain than you'd think. You'll want to reboot it or something and then find that you interrupted a backup from another system. It also probably uses more power than what's necessary. You also aren't likely to be running a ZFS-featured OS on this computer, so you wouldn't be getting the anti-corruption features of ZFS.

2. I use an i3-4130 and it works with ECC. The cheap pentium G3220 also works with ECC and is a good choice if you don't need to use encryption (since the pentium doesn't have the AES-NI feature). The pentium is like $60 and is haswell 3.0 GHz. Would be great for most home uses.

If you decide to get a NAS, keep in mind that FreeNAS is somewhat of a time investment to configure and do correctly.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I struggled with this same question initially. Do I really need one? Ultimately, I decided that I could justify about 50% of the cost, and I assumed I would find the other 50% in things I didn't know about yet, and with the (gag me, I know) friends and stuff I'd make in this community.

I was right about all of that. What I've learned about FreeNAS and/or FreeBSD in the past several months has literally made me into a new man, from a computer-guy standpoint, to say nothing of what I gain by interacting with the people involved in this project.

Really, it's the best $1000 I've ever spent. I have my NAS mostly serving media files to my family in the home. As time went on, I expanded it to run my Mumble server, my email servers, and a caching DNS recursor, to say nothing of small shit like the IRC bouncer I also run from it.

My rig is a Supermicro X10SLM+-F, an Intel G3220 (which are only $55 or so), 16GB of RAM, and a handful of 2TB drives, and I'm happy as a clam with that, and haven't even REMOTELY scratched the surface of that CPU for my simple file serving uses.

So, if you can already feel that 50-75% of the cost is justified, you'll find more than enough, potentially, to get to 100+%.

scurrier

Patron
Good point on the learning aspect. I also wanted to learn more about Unix-derived operating systems and definitely have learned a few things. Now I won't have a blank stare if anyone ever mentions FreeBSD to me, like what I see on my friends' faces when I mention it to them.

TAC

Contributor
I struggled with this same question initially. Do I really need one? Ultimately, I decided that I could justify about 50% of the cost, and I assumed I would find the other 50% in things I didn't know about yet, and with the (gag me, I know) friends and stuff I'd make in this community.

I was right about all of that. What I've learned about FreeNAS and/or FreeBSD in the past several months has literally made me into a new man, from a computer-guy standpoint, to say nothing of what I gain by interacting with the people involved in this project.

Really, it's the best $1000 I've ever spent. I have my NAS mostly serving media files to my family in the home. As time went on, I expanded it to run my Mumble server, my email servers, and a caching DNS recursor, to say nothing of small shit like the IRC bouncer I also run from it.

My rig is a Supermicro X10SLM+-F, an Intel G3220 (which are only $55 or so), 16GB of RAM, and a handful of 2TB drives, and I'm happy as a clam with that, and haven't even REMOTELY scratched the surface of that CPU for my simple file serving uses.

So, if you can already feel that 50-75% of the cost is justified, you'll find more than enough, potentially, to get to 100+%.

DrKK,
Thanks for the comments. This is just what I needed to push me over the edge. If my wife asks, I'm blaming it on you! lol As much as anything I'm looking at it as a learning experience and something to keep me off the streets at night. :smile: I'm sure I'll also find some other cool stuff to do with it.
Since I don't have too much heartburn on the $$ and I'm not sure where I'm going to end up with applications, I think I might go with the i3-4130 over the G3220.

Status
Not open for further replies.