Do I need to flash my IBM M1015/LSI 9240 SAS Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwchan69

Contributor
Based on the advise I gotten here, I have order a used IBM M1015/LSI 9240 SAS controller. During boot, it say
LSI MegaRAID SAS-MFI BIOS
Version 4.27.80 (Build August 18, 2011)
HA -0 (Bus 6 Dev 0) ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller
FW pacakge: 20.18.1-0052

My questions are as follow
1. Is this the right firmware for what I need to be use with FreeNAS? Or do I need to flash this with a LSI or IBM firmware?
2. I probably want to get this flash to the latest proper firmware level. Do I look for this at IBM or LSI website?
3. Do I configure the drives as "unconfigure" or JBOD for FreeNAS? All I know is that I do not need RAID or assign them to a disk group.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Flash it to IT mode, version P16. Do not flash the boot ROM, as it's useless for IT mode if you're not booting from the controller and is known to cause problems in certain setups.

Search the forums for the link to the instructions or google. Firmware can be found at LSI's website.

Done that? Now forget the thing even has the option of having a menu. Everything is configured in FreeNAS - if the card gives you RAID options, you did not install the IT firmware.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

tmsmith

Dabbler
Sorry if this is the incorrect spot to post but I didn't feel like it warranted a new thread. I flashed my 9240-8i a while back to IT mode. Is there a way to check what version I flashed to it? If not, can I just reflash it following the instructions on ServeTheHome using P16 version?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry if this is the incorrect spot to post but I didn't feel like it warranted a new thread. I flashed my 9240-8i a while back to IT mode. Is there a way to check what version I flashed to it? If not, can I just reflash it following the instructions on ServeTheHome using P16 version?
There sure is.

# sas2flash -listall

tmsmith

Dabbler
There sure is.

# sas2flash -listall

That was easy! Thanks. I'm thinking I should be looking at the FW Ver and not the 14 in the top, correct?
"LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 14.00.00.00 (2012.07.04)"

Also - can I do the flash from shell or should I boot into a DOS?

upload_2014-7-28_20-28-16.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do the flash the way everyone else does it.. from DOS. You could probably do it from the FreeNAS CLI, but don't try to trailblaze when your hardware is on the line. ;)

The v14 is for the sas2flash version. Your card is on phase 15 firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.