Do I need a Smart-UPS (instead of the Back-UPS I currently have)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanVanVan

Patron
I've got my FreeNAS machine, router, TV, and a few other electronics hooked up to an APC BR1500G Back-UPS that I bought last year. I've already had to replace the backup battery in it twice (once back in April, and again this today).

The CS rep on the phone said that because my FreeNAS power supply is a Cooler Master Gold Series 800W PSU and has Power Factor Correction, I needed to upgrade my UPS to a Smart-UPS. She started talking about technical stuff (sinewaves, etc) that I didn't really understand, the only thing I heard was that she wanted me to buy a new UPS a year after I purchased this one. Is it necessary?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've got my FreeNas machine, router, TV, and a few other electronics hooked up to an APC BR1500G Back-UPS that I bought last year. I've already had to replace the backup battery in it twice (once back in April, and again this today).

The CS rep on the phone said that because my FreeNAS power supply is a Cooler Master Gold Series 800W PSU and has Power Factor Correction, I needed to upgrade my UPS to a Smart-UPS. She started talking about technical stuff (sinewaves, etc) that I didn't really understand, the only thing I heard was that she wanted me to buy a new UPS a year after I purchased this one. Is it necessary?

Thanks

Your question has been the source of endless debate.

To be absolutely safe, yes. I'm using a stepped approximation "sine wave" unit and it hasn't been problematic, though, so don't expect the thing to catch fire.

The problem, if it exists, is that this method involves higher than line voltages so that the root mean square of the waveform is still 110V/230V (whichever is appropriate in your case). These may come close to the PSU's capacitors rated voltages, which may lead to early failure.

EvanVanVan

Patron
Thanks for the reply and the informative post.

Would my PSU be the cause of the early battery failures? When you say "may lead to early failure, you're referring to the FreeNAS PSU correct? Not the UPS battery?

For what it's worth, I've got rather reliable power here in NJ and it almost never has to go on to the backup battery.

But the one thing that I've kept quiet from the CS people is that I do use a few regular surge protectors in the UPS to get some more battery backup outlets. I've read that using surge protectors is not recommended but all of my stuff together goes above 60% of the UPS load limit. For the two months before this most recent battery replacement notification, I only had my FreeNAS server and a Synology NAS connected to it using 9% of the load limit. Are the surge protectors causing problems instead?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks for the reply and the informative post.

Would my PSU be the cause of the early battery failures? When you say "may lead to early failure, you're referring to the FreeNAS PSU correct? Not the UPS battery?

For what it's worth, I've got rather reliable power here in NJ and it almost never has to go on to the backup battery.

But the one thing that I've kept quiet from the CS people is that I do use a few regular surge protectors in the UPS to get some more battery backup outlets. I've read that using surge protectors is not recommended but all of my stuff together goes above 60% of the UPS load limit. For the two months before this most recent battery replacement notification, I only had my FreeNAS server and a Synology NAS connected to it using 9% of the load limit. Are the surge protectors causing problems instead?

Yes, PSU failure.

If anything, it's non-PFC PSUs that could lead to early UPS failure, since the low power factors could wreak havoc on the waveform generator circuitry.

Chained surge protectors is something typically discouraged (not that I can come up with a good reason), but regular ol' power strips are fine, assuming per-outlet limitations are met on the UPS.

I'm guessing the bad batteries are a coincidence.

EvanVanVan

Patron
Thanks for the help man.

Status
Not open for further replies.