DNS issue when trying to create/install iocage

afmiller

Contributor
I have tried multiple times to create a jail by using the below command. It keeps failing and giving me below error.

echo '{"pkgs":["plexmediaserver","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json
iocage create -n "plex" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.2-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.30.150/24" defaultrouter="192.168.30.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"

Testing Host DNS response to pkg.freebsd.org
DNS Exception: The DNS operation timed out after 30.09085965156555 seconds
pkg.freebsd.org could not be reached via DNS, check your network

The odd thing is the jail is still created, when I console in I can ping both google.com and the ip address of the server

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
Typo in the iocage create statement.....

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
you trying doing it the easy way and use the GUI?

afmiller

Contributor
you trying doing it the easy way and use the GUI?

If the jail is created manually, I can do pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass but after the other commands and when it’s time to start the service, it won’t ever start

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Doesn't matter, I don't like plugins so I would suggest just creating a normal jail.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If the jail is created manually, I can do pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass but after the other commands and when it’s time to start the service, it won’t ever start
is this with only plex? what version of plex? plex 1.19.1 is currently broken. You have to use 1.18.9

afmiller

Contributor
is this with only plex? what version of plex? plex 1.19.1 is currently broken. You have to use 1.18.9

I've used this guide below to set up in the past but have no issue modifying it some, ie making jail manually. But how do select the specific version?

I am on 11.3 btw

afmiller

Contributor
That might actually be it, cause sab installed manually. So the question now is, how do I select the older plex