DLINK DNS 1250-6 Sharecenter Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbatzle

Cadet
I have a distinct feeling I won't be able to FreeNAS it. I figured I would ask just in case I am wrong. I believe the 2 GB of RAM would be the limiting factor unless I missed something else. Maybe someone can tell me if I could use a USB drive as additional RAM though. Below are the hardware specs

Networking 802.3ad, DHCP, TCP/IP, iSCSI, HTTP/HTTPS, IPv6, SSH, SMB/CIFS, NFS, FTP, SNMP
Supported Hard Drive Type SATA II HDD
Form Factor Tower
Processor Intel Atom D525 Dual-Core 1.8 GHz
RAM 2 GB
Ports ƒ 5 x USB 2.0 (1 in front, 4 in the back) ƒ 2 x GbE (Wake-on-LAN support)
Drive Bays ƒ DNS-1250-06 : Six SATA II

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Even if it would take enough RAM to fill that requirement, I thing your performance would still be abysmal with such a slow processor.
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

You can pickup a new, low end system, for around $200. Would you like a suggestion?
What capabilities do you need?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

wbatzle

Cadet
Ahhh I actually own one of these which is my gaming server to host my games. I will see what I can do to buy another and will upgrade to 4tb drives to migrate my data to.

joeinaz

Contributor
What is the goal of your FreeNAS solution? (storage capacity, # of Disks)
What is your budget?
Any space limitations?

wbatzle

Cadet
What is the goal of your FreeNAS solution? (storage capacity, # of Disks)
What is your budget?
Any space limitations?
The goal is to replace my failing drink has which hosts 12tb of data capacity, my vms, my files and labs. Don't have a budget yet. Maybe 1k would be good to start. Was thinking of qnap as well. Just feeling out my options really. The hardware on my NAS is good but I have to blow out the OS every 3 years due to it going bonkers and becoming unusable.

joeinaz

Contributor
Possible solution (parts from US eBay):

Storage: Six 4TB disks: at least $550 for used disks other options available if you look at 2TB and 3TB disks.
Case: Antec 900 $100 new or $50 used (or any case that will hold at least 6 disks) My Antec 900 is configured for twelve 3.5" disks
Power supply: At least 500w supply $50 new when on sale (get a brand name power supply; this is the one item not to go cheap on)
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SRL-F $200; a good system board that allow for plenty of memory
CPU: Intel E5-2600 V1 or V2 $30 - $500; If you deploy your FreeNAS for storage only, the low end CPU will work; if you host VMs as well, get a more powerful CPU
CPU Fan: Add $25
Memory: Start with 16GB of DDR3 (2x 8GB) $50 to $100

If you start with the aforementioned configuration; you can have a working system within your $1k budget. Two additional options I could suggest include:

IBM M1015 RAID card: $50 to $75 Likely a better choice than the onboard SATA ports.
Small SSD: $50 so you don't have to boot FreeNAS from a USB key

Status
Not open for further replies.