Disks and data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellhaven

Cadet
Hi,
Been running XBMC from old xbox to Win7 PC no problems. shares all set and all media usable.

Too big demand on it now for other things so trying out Free nas 8 - 01 Release
Got it on Usb Thumb Drive
Boots older pentium machine up and can see small disk 250GB I'm trying it out with.

I read but get nowhere (to blind I think) org PDF from author and searched forums but maybe wrong words.

Q1. Create and format disk/volume
Q2. Move on exiting media (avi, iso, vob, mp3, etc in sensible folder layout
Q3. Set Source in XBMC to FREEnas box, volume

Test out and learn my way around then increase disk storage and move more on slowly as I get familiar with it.

If there is a guide to do this please point me to it or if you can spare the the time
to run down how to achieve.

Much appreciated either way.

leenux_tux

Patron

Bellhaven

Cadet
The PDF is new, thanks to Dru and Cbray, and some others too.

There are also some official YouTube videos from the FreeNAS team. Have a look at this page:
Noobs-FAQS-&-Documentation-are-HERE

They did a good job on the PDf its much easier to move around,search etc.
Thank you for video on You tube, seem very helpful, glanced through now (9of) but look more closely later, shares looks very interesting to me, easier to follow

The links will help I'm sure
Many Thanks

Bellhaven

Cadet
@protosd

The Videos while slightly different layout to latest release I have watched and thought thats not so bad.

Settled on All in One video

If I'm right and I sat and did each step along with pausing the video the steps are:

To usb = done and booted and running on simple machine
GUI= can get to it from win 7 with given IP address
Volume=VOL01 and /mnt/VOL01 on Non ZFS
User=User01, passworded
Share CIF= Share01, /mnt/VOL01

After that I cannot access the share from Win 7 or old xbox running XBMC.

Any tips?
Like where have I gone wrong or not done something.

Would be nice to get some media files up and watching, just a simple file server is all I want.

Thanks for your help if you could

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Bellhaven,

There are couple gotchas that tend to give people trouble. The GUI has changed a bit since those videos, but they're still a good overview for new users, I think anyway.

In the GUI, on the left sidebar, there's 'Services' and when you open that, at the top of the list is 'Control Services", there's a CIFS service, have you enabled that? There's a red/blue off/on button, click on. Also, there's some additional settings if you click the little wrench icon.
If you click the wrench icon, there's a checkbox, 'Allow Guest Access', try checking that, don't click the one that says "Only Allow Guest Access".

If you've already gone thru all that I'm sorry. Post back if it still doesn't work and me or someone will try and help you.

I'm pushing for a feature that will allow users to share config settings like exporting branches of the registry in Windows so that we can have setup's pre-configured for situations like this.

Bellhaven

Cadet
Thanks protosd for getting back to me.

I had found the CIF on/off setting switch after trawling about, but that just lets me find another branch I did not know was there. :)

I then did some more searching in the docs

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/CIFS_Shares

Configuring Anonymous Access: (uses both guest options)

Followed to the letter (does not quite match graphics to text, talks settings does not show them) and low and behold I have a connection from win 7, with a system map not quite right, not a great problem.

Set Net drive and copied files to Freenas
Set Xbox XBMC source
Quiet, fast Media watching was excellent.

If it works for Anon then it must work standard so....

Is there a config/settings file/s (to backup)?
Switch to restore "factory" settings?

That way I can go back and try standard setup again with a little more knowledge and the ability to restore working sys if I get in mess.

I like the idea of possibly of config sharing/examples, it would certainly cut down on time taken to get to a usable setup and feel better (head and brick wall do not meet so often).

Cheers

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Bellhaven,

That's great news, I'm glad you worked it out. It's nice to see someone looking at the docs instead of the other 50 people asking the same thing and not making any effort to look it up.

Is there a config/settings file/s (to backup)?

Yup, click on the System icon at the top, and then on the Settings tab below to the right, at the bottom of the page is a "Save Config" button.

It's nice to have you here on the forums!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.