New Build: using existing drives (with data on them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike77

Contributor
At the moment I have a Freenas machine build out of spare parts:
  • Asus consumer grade motherboard
  • Intel I3
  • 4x 2 GB DDR2
  • 2x WD Red 4TB (mirrored)
  • 2x Seagate 2TB (mirrored) one is failing while I’m typing this)
Coming Friday I'll finally receive the parts for my new build.
The new build is going to have the following parts:
  • SuperMicro X10SL7-F
  • Xeon E3-1230 V3
  • 4x Crucial 8gb pc3-12800 (1600 mhz, cas 9, 240 pin, EEC, unbufferd)
  • 2x WD Red 4TB (Mirror. In the end it will be 6 drives, but I already have these three)
The 2 WD Red's that are in the old machine are going to be used in the new machine.
Q1: “Can I just move these disks (containing the data) to the new machine and import the volume into Freenas, or will that inadvertently lead to the loss of all my data?”
Q2: “Does flashing the SuperMicro to IT mode still make a difference, and if so, does anyone have a link for me to the correct LSI firmware and a good step by step?” Seeing that this will be a first for me I’d rather not kill my new motherboard before I even had a chance to use it.

Thanks

Scareh

Contributor
A1) you can just import your drives and all your data will be on there again. Just make sure you shut down your machine properly first ;-)

A2) not sure where this is comming from but, according to me you don't need to "flash" your motherboard (except perhaps a newer bios version but thats for someone else to answer). The it mode you're speaking off is for a raid card, which you don't have.

Mike77

Contributor
A1) you can just import your drives and all your data will be on there again. Just make sure you shut down your machine properly first ;-)

Haha, thanks, I'll be sure to shut it down correctly before I start putting in the new Motherboard and other parts ;-)

A2) not sure where this is comming from but, according to me you don't need to "flash" your motherboard (except perhaps a newer bios version but thats for someone else to answer). The it mode you're speaking off is for a raid card, which you don't have.

There are a lot of posts ons this forum about the SuperMicro X10SL7-F. I thought that there were a couple of posts speaking of flashing the onboard raid controller to IT mode, but maybe I'was mistaken (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10sl7-f.14105/).

In one of these posts there is also mention of trouble when moving disks from one machine to another, and the danger of dataloss when both controllers are not in IT mode. But now I can't seem t find the post.

gpsguy

In addition to the 6 SATA ports (4 x SATA 3.0Gb/s + 2 x SATA 6.0Gb/s) you also have a LSI 2308 controller. It appears that you can download the IT firmware directly from Supermicro. You'll want to use phase 16. See - ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/Previous%20Releases/

Mike77

Contributor
In addition to the 6 SATA ports (4 x SATA 3.0Gb/s + 2 x SATA 6.0Gb/s) you also have a LSI 2308 controller. It appears that you can download the IT firmware directly from Supermicro. You'll want to use phase 16. See - ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/Previous Releases/

Thanks, got the zip file.

I know, the Motherboard has got a lot of ports :smile:
But does this mean that I won't be able to use some of the ports if I don't flash it, or is there another reason for doeing this?
Can you explain some of the benefits of flashing to IT mode?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks, got the zip file.

I know, the Motherboard has got a lot of ports :)
But does this mean that I won't be able to use some of the ports if I don't flash it, or is there another reason for doeing this?
Can you explain some of the benefits of flashing to IT mode?
You can't use the SAS controller unless it's running proper firmware (P16 IT mode).

Mike77

Contributor
Ericloewe,

Thanks for the answer! That makes things clear. I won't need those ports at the moment, but I guess that it's better to do it now then to do it after the build.

Could you also answer my other question? Is there a danger of data loss when moving drives to a different machine? I've read somthing like that in the posts about this mainboard and flashing the controller. But now I can't find the post right now. But I believe you, JGreco and Cyberjock were in the string (as always).

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ericloewe,

Thanks for the answer! That makes things clear. I won't need those ports at the moment, but I guess that it's better to do it now then to do it after the build.

Could you also answer my other question? Is there a danger of data loss when moving drives to a different machine? I've read somthing like that in the posts about this mainboard and flashing the controller. But now I can't find the post right now. But I believe you, JGreco and Cyberjock were in the string (as always).

Thanks
Not unless something is wrong. Something like moving from hardware RAID to no hardware RAID, for instance.

In fact, you should be able to just move all mass storage devices over to the new server and it'll be on its merry way, except perhaps for a quick network config.

Mike77

Contributor
Not unless something is wrong. Something like moving from hardware RAID to no hardware RAID, for instance.

In fact, you should be able to just move all mass storage devices over to the new server and it'll be on its merry way, except perhaps for a quick network config.

That answers my question and is exactly what I was hoping to hear!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.