Disk replaced, volume resilvered but available storage low

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTDJassen

Dabbler
Hey there,

Recently I've replaced a faulty hard disk in my freenas RAIDZ1 setup with 3x WD 2TB green's. I followed the manual procedure, resilvered my volume and all is well right now. Zpool status gives:

Code:
  pool: Volume1                                                              
state: ONLINE                                                               
  scan: scrub in progress since Sun Sep  7 22:42:59 2014                     
        45.9G scanned out of 1.55T at 78.9M/s, 5h34m to go                   
        0 repaired, 2.89% done                                               
config:                                                                      

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKS
UM                                                                           
        Volume1                                         ONLINE       0     0 
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0 
            gptid/ccbb3ade-20af-11e4-9fef-d0509926d51f  ONLINE       0     0 
            gptid/cda844d7-20af-11e4-9fef-d0509926d51f  ONLINE       0     0 
            gptid/72084e07-343c-11e4-9bbe-d0509926d51f  ONLINE       0     0 

errors: No known data errors   

So all seems well. However: the available storage for my 6TB volume is stuck at 2.5TB. I believe this is available storage from running my NAS with a faulty harddrive (4TB possibly amounts to 2.5 right?). But now, after replacing, resilvering and checking everything is OK this available storage remains 2.5TB.

See:
Knipsel.PNG

Can someone help me to obtain my full storage according to 6 TBs worth of disks in RAIDz1 configuration?

Thanks in advance.

enemy85

Guru
For what i see the resivering process just started, or are u doing a scrub after the resilvering?

MTDJassen

Dabbler
Yeah, the resilvering succesfully finished 3 days ago or something. The scrub is because I was looking to solve this issue, am sort of a noob and thought it might work. Then I read about scrubbing and realize it isn't going to fix this problem ;-). So the scrub and the resilvering are independent.

enemy85

Guru
Type "zfs list" in the shell and see there if the space is what you expect it to be

MTDJassen

Dabbler
zfs list shows the same 2,5TB for this volume.

Any other options? Did I miss a setting/switch/procedure?

gpsguy

3x2Tb in RAIDz1 yields about 3.5Tb of usable storage.

How much space are you using now? How much free space do you think you have? Are you using compression? Are you using spapshots?

Sent from my phone

MTDJassen

Dabbler
I am currently using around 945 GiB. I am snapshotting one of my datasets (photos, 59GiB) regularly but it doesn't change so that wouldn't really make a dent. Now that I'm closely looking at the active volumes tab in my FreeNAS, I can't make anything of it. What's 'available' and 'size' and why can it differ throughout essentially one volume?

Attachments

• Knipsel.PNG
    Knipsel.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 215

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm confused. You have 945GiB used. You are showing 2.5TiB available. That is approximately 3.45TiB. A pool of 3 x 2TB works out to about 3.5TiB of space, give or take a little. Those numbers are essentially identical. There's no problem here.

MTDJassen

Dabbler
Well there's at least one problem and that's my noobyness. Otherwise, there probably isn't. I'm just wondering why the gui doesn't show an estimated 'grand total' of space in my volume (available+used, so in this case 3.5 TiB). It only shows 'Available' (2.5TiB) and an illustrious 'Size' which I can't really place and varies within my volume from 2.5 TiB to 3.2TiB.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It has to do with how ZFS views the size, which I don't fully understand, but in many ways datasets are treated as separate volumes. This could stand to be quite a bit clearer in the GUI (it's just reporting what zfs list says), but I understand it would take quite a bit of work to accomplish that.

MTDJassen

Dabbler
Alright, so in other words nothing is wrong with my volume, FreeNAS (or zfs list) just reports it in a peculiar way.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The size is effectively the amount used plus the amount free. This should make sense.

Where it gets confusing is that the available space may be available to multiple datasets. But it could also be reserved or quota'ed or other various things, in which case the space that is reported as free would be different.

It's not peculiar, it's just complicated and not immediately obvious. Once you see it for what it is saying, it is straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.