Disk broken? How to replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently received notifications that one hard drive is having problems. From looking on the alerts, the disk is offline. But under the volum status it says its online.

I am not sure what to do with this or if this can be fixed. I have ordered a replacement hard drive and wondering how I do this? Should I just use the "replace" disk? Is there a tutorial on this? Should i physically replace the disk first then use this button? What to do after this?

The server is a supermicro with hotswap so I could do this live. But there is no problem doing a shutdown to be sure the process is done properly.

freenas1.png

freenas2.png

Attachments

• freenas1.png
    freenas1.png
    449.3 KB · Views: 243
  • freenas2.png
    freenas2.png
    316.7 KB · Views: 174

nojohnny101

Wizard
Yes this procedure is covered well in the manual. Make sure you are identifying the correct drive via serial number.

Also I have experienced drive failures where the GUI didn't update right away after a drive dropped off of my system until I restarted.

Yes this procedure is covered well in the manual. Make sure you are identifying the correct drive via serial number.

Also I have experienced drive failures where the GUI didn't update right away after a drive dropped off of my system until I restarted.

A restart of the system keep showing the drive as online. I will read the documentation. But wanted to ask how serious this is, and if I really need to change the disk. Maybe this error just shows that there is a minor not major error.

m0nkey_

MVP
You have unreadable and offline uncorrectable sectors. Time to replace the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.