"disable netbios = yes" in smb.conf file doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I was testing disabling netbios in an ADS enviornment on my FreeNAS server, and noticed that it doesn't appear to be stopping NBNS traffic.

From my windows workstation I ran:
nbtstat -A [ip-address]
and successfully retrieved the netbios name of my server.

wireshark also showed a NBNS name query response from my server. Ergo disable "disable netbios" doesn't appear to work. I'll very freely admit that I am a beginner. Am I overlooking something?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Are you editing smb.conf yourself? if so that's not the proper way to do it. You should add it to the advanced field (or whatever it's called.. I forget) for CIFS.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I added to the auxiliary parameters field.

I suppose it's possible that this parameter stops smbd from sending NetBIOS over TCP packets, but doesn't stop nmbd. If this is the case, then this parameter is a bit counterintuitive and unhelpful. If you don't want one you don't want the other.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hmm.. sorry anodos. I don't know how to help you further. :(

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This thread got 'necro' ed in a bug report. Looking at old forum posts is like looking at old highschool yearbooks - not to be done when sober. Okay, now to address my past self...

Past self, you're stupid. If you want to kill NetBIOS name resolution on your server for some incomprehensible reason (perhaps you like breaking stuff), just stop nmbd. Stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.