Different size DIMM ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuganater

Patron
Does it matter terribly if I use 16GB and 8GB memory modules in a server? 16GB DIMMs are kinda expensive, roughly $90, and 8GB DIMMs can be as low as $20. So I already have 2x 16GB modules in one of my servers and if I add say a bunch of 8GB modules (the same speed as the 16GB modules), would that be a bad thing?

danb35

Hall of Famer
They'll work. Whether there will be a performance impact, and how great it will be, will depend on your motherboard and CPU, and how they handle RAM.

Fuganater

Patron
I should have said that... It is a X9SRL-F with a E5-1620 V2.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
16GB DIMMs are kinda expensive, roughly $90, and 8GB DIMMs can be as low as $20.
I have my eye on this board for a future build and I'm not aware of compatible RAM being sold at those prices.
Am I missing something here?

Never mind, too early in the morning (first day of vacation).
I'm thinking of an X10 board, sorry!

Fuganater

Patron
I have my eye on this board for a future build and I'm not aware of compatible RAM being sold at those prices.
Am I missing something here?

Never mind, too early in the morning (first day of vacation).
I'm thinking of an X10 board, sorry!

Not your fault. I was talking about the wrong board. I meant the X9DRi-LN4F+. 8GB DIMM for $24.99 and I am sure I can get them for $20 or cheaper.

Either way, I guess this question goes for any board.

tvsjr

Guru
Look at the owner's manual for that board. There are all sorts of restrictions based on how many processors you're using, how many DIMMs you're installing, etc. Personally, I stuck with identical modules (8GB in my case). I moved the 4 16GB modules I had to a new VM host based on a similar board (dual E5-2670).

Fuganater

Patron
Look at the owner's manual for that board. There are all sorts of restrictions based on how many processors you're using, how many DIMMs you're installing, etc. Personally, I stuck with identical modules (8GB in my case). I moved the 4 16GB modules I had to a new VM host based on a similar board (dual E5-2670).
Ya I tried that but it makes no sense to me. I guess I could buy a bunch of 8GB modules and resell the 16GB ones. I don't have any other boards that take that exact model.

tvsjr

Guru
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Are you running dual processors? I would be tempted to make the per-processor configuration match... but you'd need 4 16GB sticks for that. Put a 16GB DIMM in the first position of each bank (2 banks per processor) then fill the rest with 8s.

Reality is, unless you're doing very specific things or using the memory verification stuff (where the memory is cut in half, for high-assurance work), the slowdown you'll experience from a slightly sub-optimal memory configuration is likely only interesting from an academic perspective. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Fuganater

Patron
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Are you running dual processors? I would be tempted to make the per-processor configuration match... but you'd need 4 16GB sticks for that. Put a 16GB DIMM in the first position of each bank (2 banks per processor) then fill the rest with 8s.
Reality is, unless you're doing very specific things or using the memory verification stuff (where the memory is cut in half, for high-assurance work), the slowdown you'll experience from a slightly sub-optimal memory configuration is likely only interesting from an academic perspective. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

That is currently what I have and yes, I am using 2x E5-2670 processors. 2x 16GB DIMMs for each processor so far and I was going to do the rest in 8GB modules in matching pairs. I guess I can order 8x 8GB modules for now and see how it works. This board will either end up being another FreeNAS box or an ESXi host.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Mixing DIMMs is something that should work, generally works, but everyone advises against, if possible.

It's not an issue in the vast majority of cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.