Different hostname for Ipv4 and IPv6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacemarine

Contributor
I'm on a network that has both Ipv4 and IPv6 connectivity and I need to use both connections. So far my Freenas has both addresses working. However, I'd like to assign different hostnames to the IPv4 and IPv6 adresses. Reason: I can only define rules in our firewall based on the hostname (not the IP), and I'd like to make some adjustments ONLY for the IPv6 address. At the moment, all adjustments effect both the IPv4 and the IPv6 address.

Is there any way to assign different hostnames?

D

dlavigne

No, there is only one hostname per host. Is the firewall restriction a limitation of the firewall software or your permissions to it?

JDCynical

Contributor
Wouldn't this be more of a DNS issue than the settings on FreeNAS? Give the ipv4 and ipv6 separate entries or use cnames?

Spacemarine

Contributor
No, there is only one hostname per host. Is the firewall restriction a limitation of the firewall software or your permissions to it?

I'm in a big university and this seems to be a limitation of the firewall software they are using. They sounded not so happy themselves with this, when I talked to them.

Spacemarine

Contributor
If it's not possible to do this in the GUI, is there a way to do this manually in the console?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Wouldn't this be more of a DNS issue than the settings on FreeNAS? Give the ipv4 and ipv6 separate entries or use cnames?
This is a dns problem not a hostname problem. A machine has 1 hostname but can have multiple ips and multiple dns entries.

tvsjr

Guru
Assuming you aren't creating an "any" rule (if you are, shame on you), most firewalls distinguish between tcp/udp and tcp6/udp6.

That said, I've never seen a firewall that wouldn't allow rules based on IP address. Indeed, it's only been relatively recently that most firewalls supported the use of FQDN. I'm wondering if this isn't so much a limitation of the software, but more some poorly-written security policy (probably in response to an audit).

Status
Not open for further replies.