different hard disc after RAID fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacata

Cadet
sorry for my big noob question as follow:

for example, I have 3x1tb RAID together. however, after a while, one hard disc die and I want to replace that one by a 2tb one. will my data be secured in the pool??? can the system recognize the new hard drive or I will have to replace it with a 1tb one?? is there any difference if I choose 500gb hdd as a replacement??

this is juz one scenarios I'm trying to clarify before building my freenas. however, it may happen for real because I will try to utilize all my hdd lying around the house.

thank all!!

yes you can with the 2 TB drive, your data will be fine, you just can't expand a vdev that was with the current version of ZFS.

the 500 GB drive is tricky, if you have 2, you could stripe them, then pass of that device as a replacement. it's tricky and i recommend against it, but in a pinch it works. you cannot replace a device with a smaller device.

zacata

Cadet
yes you can with the 2 TB drive, your data will be fine, you just can't expand a vdev that was with the current version of ZFS.

the 500 GB drive is tricky, if you have 2, you could stripe them, then pass of that device as a replacement. it's tricky and i recommend against it, but in a pinch it works. you cannot replace a device with a smaller device.

ohh, i got it now. we can do it as long as the replacement is same size with the damaged one.
however, I think there might be a prob with 2x500gb drive 'cause when we strip them, they might loss some volume because system can not recognize the full physical volume. is it true??

Status
Not open for further replies.