Did I really just lose 6TB of data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecrouch

Cadet
I finally decided to try FreeNAS 8.0.3 out having no prior experience with FreeNAS and after a few days of trying different things and making sure all my computers could see the FreeNAS server on the network I started moving my DVD and MP3 to the FreeNAS box. I am booting of a USB drive and have four 2 TB hard drives in a Dell GX280 32-bit computer with 2GB ram. I had all the hard drives as UFS and had them all pooled as one drive. It took me a week to finally get everything on the box and everything was working well. Then Sunday we lost power and now I am getting the secondary GPT table is corrupt or invalid. Using the primary only -- recovery suggested. It doesn't even find an IP address. I did make another USB boot drive and I can get an IP address and connect across the network to it but of course it says I have no volumes in storage and I tried importing but it doesn't work. If anyone knows an answer I would greatly appreciate it. I am just about to give up and start over but I also had a lot of family pictures on there and would like to try everything before giving up.
Thanks,
ecrouch

xbmcg

Explorer
I think, you could have a chance to restore the configuration somehow using the shell, as long as you have a untouched copy of your GPT. you can force the import by a command line switch - in zfs it is -f - I have not used yet the ufs file system, but I am pretty sure, there is a similar command to import a degraded pool for repair a corrupt gpt. Why you do not use your primary boot usb stick, where the pool is mounted. You can use the built-in command shell on the freenas box if you have no connectivity to the network.

ecrouch

Cadet
Using my original USB Stick I am getting:
init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
inti: NSSWITCH(_nsdispatch): files, passwd_compat, endpwent, not found, and no fallback provided
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

ecrouch

Cadet
Forgot to mention the only menu I get on my original boot stick is the firest Welcome to FreeNAS menu with the 7 options and the shell isn't one of them. Sorry I am totally new to FreeNAS I come from DOS and Windows. I wanted to use FreeNAS because I didn't want to shell out money for a 64-bit computer and Windows Home Server. I thought FreeNAS would be the answer I just didn't take my lack of knowledge about it into consideration.

imdos

Dabbler
Forgot to mention the only menu I get on my original boot stick is the firest Welcome to FreeNAS menu with the 7 options and the shell isn't one of them. Sorry I am totally new to FreeNAS I come from DOS and Windows. I wanted to use FreeNAS because I didn't want to shell out money for a 64-bit computer and Windows Home Server. I thought FreeNAS would be the answer I just didn't take my lack of knowledge about it into consideration.

You could try to clone your USB stick to another drive/stick, just to be sure using 'dd'. Then do a reinstall of FreeNAS to that stick and see if the setup wizard detects your configuration.

Maybe try 8.0.3p1 or 8.0.4. while you're recovering, maybe the upgraded version has a better detection?

You are still able to view all the individual disks, right?

ecrouch

Cadet
These are both good ideas. I wasn't even aware of 8.0.4 being released.
Yes, I can see the individual drives but I can not configure them without wiping and I am not ready to give up just yet.
Thanks for the help and I will try your ideas out tonight.

mrME

Dabbler
inti: NSSWITCH(_nsdispatch): files, passwd_compat, endpwent, not found, and no fallback provided

DONT WIPE YOUR DRIVES...... I had a similar problem. Just hit enter and type " fsck -y " which will repair your disk.

Samppa

Cadet

DONT WIPE YOUR DRIVES...... I had a similar problem. Just hit enter and type " fsck -y " which will repair your disk.

I have exactly the same problem. Last night got a power loss and now the system gives me the same error as mentioned before.
When I type "fsck -y" I get file system clean report but my system still doesnt start and the same error apears. Any ideas?

I can't do the steps mentioned here: http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=faq:0001 because the system doesnt come to life.

Stephens

Patron
And then get a UPS and set it up properly so it shuts down cleanly upon power loss like you should have in the first place.

BobCochran

Contributor
I'm sitting out the 50+ mph wind gusts tonight as a result of Hurricane Sandy visiting New Jersey. We lost power for a couple earlier hours tonight, but I have my NAS connected to a large capacity UPS, and that gave me time to shut it down gracefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.