Did I damage my ACLS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyMonkey

Contributor
So, in experimenting and trying to get something to work which probably shouldn't (hey, I've got to learn somehow), I did what was warned against in this ticket (and some other places, though with little explanation given).

That is, I used the GUI to set the permissions recursively on my media dataset set to Windows ACLs. It took forever, and generated ton of log traffic in the console (which seemed to be mainly syntax errors). However, it then allowed me to set the permissions directly in Windows, which for some reason I was unable to do before, despite being the owner of the share ("permission denied" on all subdirectories when attempting to set any permissions on them).

Is there some way I can check if these ACLs are now damaged? And am I really going to have to recreate the entire volume, or just the dataset? Or can I fix them?

Nothing SEEMS amiss, but I am honestly not sure how to check, and I'm still trying to get things to work the way I want. The data is all backed up elsewhere, so I can destroy and recreate the dataset if needed (or the volume if I have to, the ticket states recreation of a volume to fix, but I can't see how permissions would get outside of their dataset).

SkyMonkey

Contributor
Any ideas folks? Am I worrying about nothing, is there any way I can check for issues, or should I nuke and pave?

Status
Not open for further replies.