Did anyone had the same thought ... about backup

rayearth2000

Dabbler
I have been using NAS for many years, the first one I use was D-link DNS-320L run 2 mirrors 1TB hard divers for personal photos,
and 1 5T WD external hard drive for music and movie. After a couple of years, my DNS-320L start non-stable,
so I start moving all my files to the external hard drive, at the same time searching for new NAS.
During that time my external hard drive partition crush for no reason, all my file is gone(include all memories pictures and videos), on recover 25%,
after that even I have new NAS I still keep making another backup copy on the hard drive and keep in save place.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What you are generally talking about is a backup strategy. The best practice is that you should have three copies of the data. I have two, fully redundant, NAS systems at home and another disk array that stores a third backup of the data in the NAS. The only way I can imagine loosing my data is if my house was to burn down. While that is possible, it isn't very likely. Never trust any single storage platform. You should always work on the premise that the system will eventually fail and at the worst possible time.

There has been much discussion of various backup strategies on the forum. You could do a search and find many options.

Last edited:

rayearth2000

Dabbler
Yes, I have 2 4TB harddrive running mirror on FreeNAS, also another 4TB for monthly backup from NAS