Device: /dev/da2 [SAT], not capable of SMART self-check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrodonkey

Explorer
I have an external USB backup drive (encrypted) that I replicate to periodically as a backup. This has been working fine for a few months, but a few days ago I started getting this error:

upload_2017-12-1_18-47-47.png

I searched around the forums here a bit and can't make much of this error. Everyone's situation is different. It seems the drive is unable to complete the SMART tests. This drive is still under warranty and I'm thinking I will just send it back. Regardless, I am curious if anyone can take a guess what is wrong here?

Smartctl output attached.

Attachments

• smart.txt
    7 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
The only thing wrong with the drive is you have never completed a SMART Extended test which could take a very long time.

What version of FreeNAS are you running and did you make any changes such as upgrading FreeNAS as all in the past month or so?

Arwen

MVP
Some USB to SATA bridges are not capable of passing through all SATA commands. Thus, that maybe normal when you schedule a SMART test on that device.

Newer OSes and USB bridge chips may support the new UASP, (USB Attached SCSI Protocol). That would be both faster, (only in the USB protocol overhead side), and allow some of the more advanced disk features to work.

Note that the VERY old, (as in last century old), USB block transfer protocol is 10-30% in-effiecent for things like disk data. UASP helps reduce the overhead.

joeschmuck

Old Man
new UASP, (USB Attached SCSI Protocol)
Ooh something new I just heard of. I didn't realize there was something new out there. Now I need to look it up and read.

Arwen

MVP
Ooh something new I just heard of. I didn't realize there was something new out there. Now I need to look it up and read.
Yes, the world keeps turning... sometimes I wish it would stop and let the rest of us catch up.

UASP came out at or after USB 3.0, and is an optional feature. For disks & flash, it makes a noticable difference in data transfer speeds, where the USB connection would be the bottle neck. Basically the old USB Bulk Transfer mode was not very well designed, compared to SCSI. This feature requires support by end devices, the OS and OS USB drivers.

It does appear that it will work over USB 2.0 host ports. If they have the OS and OS driver support for UASP.

If I have a choice, all new USB disk related devices that I buy will support UASP.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If I have a choice, all new USB disk related devices that I buy will support UASP.
I will have to look for that as well, although I'm not looking to buy any USB devices at the moment. I may consider replacing my SuperTalent RAM Cache (I think that is what it's called) 16GB flash drive, this thing has been super fast since I bought it, I'm sure there are faster devices out now but it's been ultra reliable too.

Astrodonkey

Explorer
The only thing wrong with the drive is you have never completed a SMART Extended test which could take a very long time.

What version of FreeNAS are you running and did you make any changes such as upgrading FreeNAS as all in the past month or so?

I am running FreeNAS 11. I did migrate my pool over to a larger array a few weeks ago, but the configuration for this particular drive hasn't changed (standalone pool, external backup). The warning started after the changes; not sure if that's coincidence or if it's related. It had been working fine for months; not sure why no long version of the SMART test was never run since it is scheduled monthly.

I was able to run a complete long SMART test over the weekend. I am still seeing the warning even though all tests passed. As I said I will probably exchange the drive in the absence of any better ideas...

Attachments

• smart.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 460

joeschmuck

Old Man
You have your SMART testing setup wrong. You are running a Short test every hour. I recommend you check your schedules and ensure you are testing properly. I run a Short test once a day except Saturday and a long test once a week on Saturday. Just don't use Sunday as your long test and you will be fine. Also the high temp of the drive is likely 1 degree from the warranty limit, protect your drive from heat.

So you moved things around and that could be what is cauing the issue if it worked fine before. The drive looks fine so it's likely the interface.

Astrodonkey

Explorer
Also the high temp of the drive is likely 1 degree from the warranty limit, protect your drive from heat.

Since it’s an external drive I’m not too sure what to do. I will dust the vents. It’s not exactly hot in the northwest winter...

So you moved things around and that could be what is cauing the issue if it worked fine before. The drive looks fine so it's likely the interface.

Interface? It was fine for months until I moved things around. Could plugging the drive into a different USB port cause this?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Interface? It was fine for months until I moved things around. Could plugging the drive into a different USB port cause this?
Honestly I don't know if it could be the problem however I would try a few different ports just becasue you have no better option right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.