Dell PowerEdge SC430, ok to run Freenas 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all
I am considering to start using Freenas, instead of a old Mandriva server version.
My server is a Dell PowerEdge SC430. Nowadays it has only 512k, but can be expanded to 4gb (maximum)
Hard disk is 1.5Tb, I plan to expand to 2Tb.
Do you thing that Freenas will run fine on this system? I don´t need a top performance, but I don´t want to create a bottleneck. Actual system is fine and I don´t want to screw up.
I am considering to use ZFS because of backup feature. Will 4gb memory be enough?
My network is very small, only 12 PCs and some MACs. My company is a publishing company, most of our work is publishing books and magazines with in-Design, Ilustrator and Photoshop.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Edison

Hondatek

Cadet
yes, I am

whats the specs on ur Dell? install it and play with it look up the specs for FreeNAS 8 I have installed (8.3.1) it on a dell poweredge sc1430 I upgraded the ram to 8Gigs and the CPU to a 5148 low voltage. I need HDD's though it has two 250's I want to add 4. but it runs Supper fast on a 10/100 network.

Hondatek

Cadet
this might help you. I think you might want to get something a little newer for what you want to do. here is the link on the freeNAS specs. they are very demanding. 1 Gig per Terabyte. read up do your home work so you can find what's best for ur needs. Hope this helps.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
512k of memory won't even load up FreeBSD.. you have a mistake.

Hi cyberjock.
As can be seen in my first post, this server can be expanded to 4gb. In your opinion how would it behave using ZFS with 4gb?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'll never build a system with only 4GB of RAM for ZFS. The manual calls for 6GB(minimum) to be stable. All it takes is 1 kernel panic from insufficient RAM to corrupt the zpool file system(hence making it unmountable) and all the data will be gone forever. This happens a lot more often than people want to admit, and while I feel bad when they lose everything its not like the answers weren't available to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.