Dell Perc 6/e MD1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdragon75

Wizard
Now before everyone goes nuts, I'll start by saying I know this will be unsupported. If I wanted a fully supported system, I would buy one with TrueNAS. I like many others here am asking in the pursuit of knowledge.

I have tried FreeNAS Coral and noticed that my drives all show up individually allowing a great level of flexibility in my ZFS configuration. This is not however true in FreeNAS 9.x. I would like to know what was different in Coral that allowed this. Was this a different driver? Perhaps some other FreeNAS kung-fu?

This is all running on a Dell r330 with a Perc 6/e connected to a Dell MD1000 with 15 300GB 15k SAS drives.

D

dlavigne

Please provide screenshots of what it looked like in Corral and what it looks like in 9.10.3 so we understand what you're seeing.

kdragon75

Wizard
Seems (from watching boot) Coral has a mfip driver that allows this pass-through functionality and FreeNAS 9.x does not. There also seems to have been some controversy over this in the past: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/9160

This passthrough would surely be more robust than 15 raid0 disks being insulated by the controller.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
Yeah I will have to get Coral back on the box and grab some screens as requested.
I did see how old it was but had a similar thought.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Freenas corral used freebsd 11 and that had some new drives that probably helped things out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.