Deleting a single Time Machine backup from a multimachine dataset

dradovsky

Cadet
I have been using FreeNAS as a Time Machine to back up two computers onto one AFP share. Having just replaced one of those computers, I used that old machine's backup to restore its data to my new computer. I then backed up my new computer onto that AFP share. Now I have two redundant backups on my FreeNAS server along with the backup of my other computer. So now I am getting the warning that I am over the 80% disk storage allowance. Unfortunately, I no longer have the old computer so I can't use its Time Machine program to delete that old computer's backup.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

I am using FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6.

danb35

Hall of Famer

openwinz

Cadet
I have gone through the same process, the fastest and easiest way of doing this for me was to use the TrueNAS shell:
  1. cd /mount/POOLNAME/SHARENAME
  2. ls
  3. ###You should see a list of backup bundles -- MACHINENAME trailed by .backupbundle###
  4. !!!The next command deletes files and folders so read the disclaimer below!!!
  5. rm -rf MACHINENAME.backupbundle
This assumes MACHINENAME is unique and you haven't reused time machine with the old system name, you know what the POOLNAME and SHARENAME are otherwise, you might delete the wrong backupbundle.

dradovsky

Cadet
openwinz,

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know. I have been using FreeNAS for so long now with very few problems that I've forgotten how to do the most basic things.