Deleted FreeNAS VM by accident. Can I recover the data?

jayaram13

Cadet
I have a Synology DS1512+ and a FreeNAS (running on VM on another server). The underlying store for the FreeNAS VM was on the Synology. The synology has been accidentally firmware reset. So needless to say, the FreeNAS is no longer functional. Is there any way for me to recover the substantial data that's in the FreeNAS drives?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You'll need to ask Synology support, sorry.

jayaram13

Cadet
Samuel, I'm resigned to not being able to recover the Synology - and I don't want to pursue that. Would I be able to boot up my FreeNAS device with a USB key and recover the data?

Samuel Tai

You'll have to describe how your FreeNAS VM and the Synology interacted in more detail. If the data pool was on the Synology, you're out of luck.

jayaram13

Cadet
You'll have to describe how your FreeNAS VM and the Synology interacted in more detail. If the data pool was on the Synology, you're out of luck.
The Synology had the file store for the esxi virtual machine. The data pool is on separate hard disks on the freenas machine (a separate physical machine).

Samuel Tai

OK, I think I understand. You used the Synology for the FreeNAS boot pool. Your data pool resides on the ESX host. In this case, your data pool is safe, and you only need to attach a VMDK to the FreeNAS VM as a new boot pool, onto which you can install a fresh copy of FreeNAS.

jayaram13

Cadet
OK, I think I understand. You used the Synology for the FreeNAS boot pool. Your data pool resides on the ESX host. In this case, your data pool is safe, and you only need to attach a VMDK to the FreeNAS VM as a new boot pool, onto which you can install a fresh copy of FreeNAS.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.