Degraded Boot USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKK

Dabbler
I don't have much expertise or knowledge of the technicalities of FreeNAS. I have however had it installed in a home set up for more than a year and have been very happy with the results.

I've now been presented with this message in the daily run output:

pool: freenas-boot
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h22m with 108 errors on Wed May 27 04:08:07 2015
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot DEGRADED 0 0 108
da0p2 DEGRADED 0 0 216 too many errors

errors: 108 data errors, use '-v' for a list

My boot device is a 16GB Toshiba USB. I've done some poking around on the forums but I haven't come across any information on how to deal with a degraded boot USB.

I'll purchase a new USB but I'm not clear on how to go about the installation of the system on the new USB.

According to the System Information I have FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201504152200 installed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Backup your config, reinstall FreeNAS and restore the config. Consider using mirrored boot devices, since you're reinstalling anyways.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
@BKK, just to give you more verbose commentary on this and to reiterate what Ericloewe is saying:

The problem is that your USB thumb drive has taken a crap. Your operating system, now, is almost certainly corrupt. The good news is, your pool data has nothing to do with this. You should actually buy *TWO* new USB drives. We recommend a good quality 16GB USB drive pair, and I have been recommending the Sandisk Cruzer Fit 2.0 in particular.

Use the GUI to copy your configuration files to some safe place on your desktop computer or something, then, make a brand new, fresh, install from the latest FreeNAS .iso to this pair of thumb drives. Once that's done, you can "upload" your old config, and voila, everything will be fixed.

Let us know if you have trouble.

BKK

Dabbler
Thanks guys for your help. Went smoothly and I've added a mirrored boot device as suggested.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thanks guys for your help. Went smoothly and I've added a mirrored boot device as suggested.
Superb. Happy NASsing, sir.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Do you have a status update sir? Everything still running well?

Status
Not open for further replies.