Dealing with the message: Alert: The volume ... (UFS) status is UNKNOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed FreeNAS at 8.2.0 Beta2. After setting up a raidZ1, I realized my server still had a spare external SATA connector. What a great way to quickly back up files on my RAID I thought. Wanting to use an external drive(s) formatted with ntfs for portability between operating systems, I read about the poor(er) support for ntfs-3g under BSD than Linux. So I formatted the external drive to UFS. Being cost conscious, I realized I wasn't adding new files to my RAID that needed backing up, I wanted to turn off the power to the external drive (and the thought of actually using the hardware plug to uspport other external drives crossed my mind) so I detached the drive using the GUI.

Today I upgraded to FreeNAS FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950) and now get a persistent error alert noted in the Title of this message. I'd just like to know now to successfully clear all the mount point information for this removed drive so the flashing alert would go away. I've read a lot of forums and did a lot of checking for any note of the disk (labeled terry2ufs - at the time), but find nonw. Could this be something as simple as a FreeNAS database issue? Back in the earlier version I copied the data base over to my Linux server, made a deletion, rewrote the database, then copied it back, overwriting the original database on my flash drive and solved some other problem using forum guidelines on how to make the write persistent. Is this all that needs to be done to solve the problem?

Is there a way I can attach multilple backup drives to a FreeNAS setup as one fills and I move to another, or I use a rotating pool of backup devices. I'd prefer to use the external SATA port, but would there be a different way to deal with USB attachments vs. SATA attachments?

Since I'm using FreeNAS I'm asking the question here, but this would be equally appropriate asking the the FreeBSD or PCBSD forums, but I don't want to cross post at this time.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.